Chapter 16

Sasha's POV

Sitting out in the open on a bench in Chicago wasn't my ideal way to spend a Sunday morning. 

We'd arrived last night after finishing up in Vegas, half of the girls going home to keep up our name while the few that remained continued on with me to Chicago. It was one of my favorite cities aside from New York, but I was still homesick for Los Angeles. Turning up the music that was flowing through my earbuds, I got up from there bench to continue my jog.

The running usually helped clear my mind in the mornings when I needed it most, and I couldn't deny that this morning was one that specifically called for it.

Between my growing feelings for Nicki and my desperate confusion when it came to anything else in my love life, that summed up about half of what was on my mind. I knew I had a lot of people after me romantically, and it's not that I can blame them, it's just that it always seems to scare Nicki off as soon as we get close to doing something. 

And then, there was the whole lovey-dovey act she had going with Ri on the plane, and I'm still not sure how I feel about it. Is that my queue to back off? Because the more and more I think about it, I just can't bring myself to back off. I truly am interested in Nicki, and admitting that to myself just made it a little easier.

Stopping at a crosswalk, I adjusted the holster on my arm for my phone before making sure the bluetooth earbuds were still in place. Keeping up the light jog, I looked around the street before making the quick cross across and continuing the run. Though winded, the fast paced music helped with it a lot. I'd turned on an album before I left, which gave me about a forty-five minute run if I timed it correctly. For stopping at crosswalks and at a park bathroom, I'd probably have to put on a second if I really wanted to get my usual run in.

The alternative/punk music was good for running: anything else usually made me either want to dance, die, or sleep. Besides, contrary to what my girls thought, I really did like guitars. The crisp, clean sound that they produced could be manipulated into so many different ways. The current album I had playing was aggressive with its use of the guitars, haunting when it needed to be. 

What I had on before this album was good: in fact, it was done by one of the people we'd seen at the competition. It pumped me up enough to get going, and it was done by a band from Chicago. How can you go wrong with that? Besides, the punk scene in Chicago was something I would regularly pay to see if I didn't live in Los Angeles.

I was getting closer to the hotel again as I traversed through the city. I stopped at a donut shop and picked something up when I got close enough to just walk back. Keeping the bag close as I continued to walk back, getting into the hotel and back up to my room, I pulled on the doughy pastry and popped the piece into my mouth as I entered. 

It was empty, as it should be, and I sat on the bed and turned on the TV. I paused the music and took out the earbuds, setting them on the nightstand next to me as I leaned back and relaxed on the bed. Kicking off my shoes, I looked out the window with a small sigh, the run not fulfilling its purpose.

My mind wasn't cleared: I still had questions. I still wanted to know if Nicki really did hold any interest in me, or if she was genuinely interested in Rihanna. Confusion filled my thoughts as I finished the donuts and went to take my shower. When the run failed, cold showers usually worked. Though, again, I couldn't get my mind off it at all. Part of me considered trying to get someone to go out with a few times to see Nicki's reaction, but that just seemed so douchey.

Then again, that was probably the only way I'd be able to tell if she was really into me, or if she was just going along with whatever I was doing that one day in Las Vegas. But, maybe what happens in Vegas only stays in Vegas.