Chapter 5

Though I was babied for a surprisingly long time, it didn't last forever. I was hoping it would, but seeing as we were all women and we were all to be treated equally, I didn't see where my hope was coming from. It didn't matter, though, I never had to go back to that skanky apartment or that shitty job I used to work. 

Instead, now, I was to be going with Normani and Rihanna out for a patrol. It was usually driving around, stirring up trouble where needed (though that usually was with the only other female group in the area, as we weren't allowed to fuck around with Jay-Z's group without Sasha present), and sometimes we would bring back donuts for everyone on the days when we went out at night. I was sitting in shotgun- actually having a gun in the glovebox that was easily accessible- while Normani was driving, Rihanna was sitting in the back and leaning back. The top was down of the black BMW convertible, the background noise provided by Robyn singing one of the songs she'd written and the dull throb of the radio. 

"We should fill the car up before we head back," Normani suggested, pointing to a gas station across the road. 

"Yeah, sounds good. Pick me up some Marlboros, will you?" Rihanna requested. 

I remained quiet, scrolling through my instagram feed and checking the likes on my recent picture- a selfie I'd taken with Robyn when we were playing around with the wigs and makeup before we'd left. I'd deleted a lot of pictures from my old life, along with blocking Meek Mill from all my social media, but that didn't matter. I was happy now- or, at least, happier.

"You know, I know what it's like," Rihanna finally said once Normani had left to go inside the AM/PM. 

I turned off my phone and looked back at her. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, I know what it's like to have run away from somewhere- or, more specifically, someone. I'll have to tell you about it later, but you'll owe me a favor and a secret."

"A secret?" I questioned, looking at her with a gently curved eyebrow.

"We have more money than we know what to do with, and if I ask for something, I get it. No, secrets are the real wealth around this area." Rihanna smirked at me. "So what do you say?"

I was a little hesitant, but I nodded. "Yes, alright," I said, turning back around once Normani had tossed Rihanna her cigarettes. 

She immediately lit one, and by the time Normani had finished filling up the gas tank, we had visitors. Three men (more like boys by the looks of them) had pulled up in the car next to us. "Awe, are the girl scouts out selling cookies?" the boy sitting on the backseat cooed as he looked over at us. He had white-blonde hair and bright blue eyes, along with not very many tattoos compared to the one sitting in the drivers seat, the bleached-blonde fading from his hair and making it look almost salt-and-pepper. 

"Shut your whore mouth, Horan."

So the backseat boy was 'Horan'. The shotgun boy had blonde hair (at this rate, I was convinced they had to be the blonde bimbo gang) and some tattoos as well. "Ooh, feisty. The way I like mine," shotgun boy said, winking.

Rihanna almost growled at them, and at this rate I imagined her as a tiger with her tail lashing furiously. "Do you have a death wish, Bieber?"

Faking a moan, the boy in the driver's seat clutched at his chest as he pretended to orgasm. "Ooh! Ooh! Justin, please!

Their car erupted into laughter, and Normani just looked at them. "Zayn fucking Malik, I will come over there and snap your neck myself if you don't fucking take it down a notch."

"You can't, this is safe ground, 'Mani," 'Horan' called, winking.

"Then I dare you to drive right outside this gas station- right into our fuckin' territory and see what happens, Niall you British thundercunt!" 

That seemed to shut the boys up. 

"If we run into you tonight on our way to the party, then your ass is fucking grass, and I'll tell Miss Fierce what's what." Rihanna sank back down into her seat, "but the only reason I'm not coming over there now, is because I can see a police officer on the other corner."

"Nicki? Babe, get the gun from the glovebox-" Normani paused to lean over, putting the convertible roof up and rolling up the windows, "-pull up the mat underneath your feet and press as hard as you can."

I did as she said, watching it open. I was quick to put the gun in there and close it again before fixing the mat. We had to be careful, I understood that, and the only thing illegal in here was that gun. That, and maybe Rihanna's sexuality (because hot damn). 

We left the gas station, getting no trouble from the police officers that drove by and heading home almost instantly afterward. Rihanna was the one to report back to Sasha, and Normani walked with me back inside the house after picking up the mail. 

"Thank you for staying quiet back there. If you had said one wrong thing, we would've been toast. I mean, they're such a lowlife gang that we hardly even pay attention to them, but they aren't privileged enough to even know Sasha's name." Normani chuckled, rolling her eyes as she walked back inside. "Nicki, you should join RiRi and I when we go out. Since I'm not allowed to patrol with Dinah anymore, we could use the extra body. We'll teach you everything you need to know."

"That sounds good, but why aren't you allowed to patrol with Dinah anymore?"

Normani chuckled. "Well, I guess you could say we distracted each other."

- x -

a/n: sorry for the lack of promised updates, so here's two updates in a row and Nicki's instagram xoxo