6- The Familiar Road

I pulled over on the side of Melridge road and took a deep breath before getting out. I sat on the hood of my car and looked around before stopping at the dented tree.

I crossed the street and touched the tree and felt tears welling up in my eyes. I sat down and leaned my head up against the tree. I closed my eyes and sighed.

"Daddy, daddy where are we going!?" My six year old self yelled.

My dad laughed and looked at me through the rear-view mirror. "You'll see Ree, you'll see." I heard my mom laugh with him and looked back at me.

"You're gonna have so much fun." She said with that big smile she had.

I laughed after her, grinning and looked out the window. I continued to do so until 2 hours had passed, it was dark now.

I hummed to the song on the radio but stopped when I heard my mom scream. I heard a blaring of horns and felt pain on my stomach from the seat belt. 

My head hurt and I un buckled my seat belt and rubbed my stomach and looked up at my mom.

"Mommy? Mommy what happened?" I asked her. She didn't answer. I frowned and then heard sirens. 

"Daddy what's happening?" I said groggily rubbing the sides of my head. He didn't answer either.

I heard the screeching of tires and then seen a bunch of people outside my broken window. They pulled my door open and picked my up, setting me on the grass. 

A woman looked me over and asked me questions, but I only focused on my mommy and daddy. 

They came out of the car too and layed next to me. They poked their necks or something and then one man sighed and looked over to me who was totally out of it.

"Little girl, what's your name?"  I heard the woman asked, taking my attention away from my parents.

"Avery Reed." I said.

"And how old are you?"

"I'm 6."

"Do you have any aunts or uncles?"

"Yeah I have my aunt Charlie. She's the best aunt ever." I said smiling. I felt someone touch my leg and I frowned.

I sat up and looked down to see my leg black and blue. I looked over to my left to see my parents covered up.

I looked towards the lady. "Are they cold?" I asked her. "But if they are why did they put the blanket over their heads. Sillies." I said shaking my head. 

I went to go over to them, but I was pulled back. 

:::::::::::::

I cried. I didn't understand why they weren't coming back.

Why didn't they love me anymore?

I opened my eyes wiped my cheeks. They had loved me so much. I miss them so much. I got up and walked across the vacant road once again. 

I hoped in my car and drove all the way back to get flowers. After I got the white roses I pulled up at the cemetery. 

I walked and walked until I found their tombstones. I sat down in front of then both and put the flowers down.

"As much as I know you guys didn't want to leave me, I still miss you guys so damn much. You were the best parents anyone could ever ask for....I love you guys so much and I always will. Aunt Charlie misses you both too. Especially you mom. You were her sister after all....I hope your better wherever you are now," I said wiping the tears that managed to slip out.

I stood up and got back to my car before driving home. What I wasn't expecting, was for Adam to be sitting on my porch.

I shut my door and walked up to him. "Adam what are you doing here?"

"Wondering if your okay. I know you lost someone, but who?" He asked standing up.

I looked down from his burning gaze. "I don't want to talk about it," I muttered.

"You've been crying, I can see that," He said stepping closer. 

I looked up at him. "Yeah it's normal," I stated sarcastically.

He sighed, "Avery...."

"My parents died ten years ago....Today," I said looking away. When I looked into his eyes I saw pity. "See why I didn't want anyone to know is because of that pity in your eyes. I don't want, nor need, your pity, so take it somewhere else."

"I'm sorry but your parents are dead, it's only natural for me to pity you," He said shaking his head.

I scoffed and said, "No. No it's not natural. I don't need pity cause I'm fine without them. I'm not living on the streets, or going hungry. I have my aunt who loves me and puts a roof over my head."

"Okay that was wrong....I'm sorry," He said with a sigh.

I looked up to meet his eyes and I no longer saw pity. Without even realizing it, I started crying. Adam brought me into his arms and hugged me. 

I cried into his chest and he had one arm around my waist and one on my head. I needed a hug. 

I really needed a hug.

Once my sobs had turn to sniffles I let go of him and he gave me a small smile. 

"Thank you," I said wiping my eyes. He just gave me a head nod, silently saying 'your welcome'.

"Well. I should get going now, I just wanted to see if you were okay." He said.

I nodded and waved goodbye to him as he hopped in his truck and drove away. 

I looked at the sky and found myself smiling, when I didn't even want to.

:::::::::::::::::

960 words

Total Word Count- 6544