Chapter 20: Devin

Chapter 20: Devin

 My eyes snapped open at a door slamming shut. Someone was mumbling curse words, over and over again. I turned my head to look at my open door, and saw my brother, Connor, walking by. I forced myself to get up from my bed, and see what was up with my brother. He didn't seem to be in a very good mood.

Getting up, I left my opened text books on my bed, and made my way out of my room. As I walked through the halls, I followed my brother to his bedroom, and just when I was going to get in the door slams shut, right in front of my face. I flinch at the sound, and th proximity of the door to my face. I could've gotten hurt, but I didn't thin too much of that, instead I knocked on Connors door. "Connor?" I said. "What are you doing here? Don't you have school today?"

Connor didn't say anything back, which I found odd. He was always the chatty one in our family. From the other side, I heard some rattling noises, and what I think sounded like things falling. "Connor! What's up with you?" I exclaimed.

Without my brothers consent, I swing open the door to his bedroom, and take a step inside. The books that once lay on his desk were now on the floor, scattered. On the bed, I saw Connor sitting with his face in his hands. "Are you okay?" I asked. Though I may not like my brother most of the time, whatever he was going through right now didn't look good. In the same time though, this situation looked way too familiar for my liking. Connor wasn't crying so I knew it wasn't that bad, but it was something that made him unhappy thats for sure.

"No," Connor was shaking his head on his hands. "I'm not."

I cautiously sat beside Connor on the bed, making sure he won't take out all his anger on me. "Why aren't you?" He didn't reply. "Is it because of someone?" He nodded, and I already knew what it would be about. "A girl?" He nodded again.

Immediately, I laughed. Though it wasn't appropriate, I couldn't help it. No wonder this situation looked familiar, whenever he was rejected he usually acted this way. I guess I wasn't used to it because him getting rejected only happens once in a blue moon. I remember the last time he was rejected. If I'm right it was because of a girl, I think her name was Ali. When Connor was still a senior in high school, he used to hang out with her a lot. She was a junior, he was a senior. But she was really obsessed with one of her best friends so she rejected Connor.

Connor was looking at me weirdly as I laughed. I tried to stop since this was definitely not the right time to laugh. Soon I was clutching my stomach and slapping my thigh. "This is not a laughing matter," Connor tries to say seriously, but I can't help but notice that the corner of his lips were slightly tilting upwards. "Stop it!"

"I'm so sorry, Connor!" I stuttered, as my laughter grew. Before I knew it, I was rolling on his bed trying to contain my laughter. When I fell of the bed, i heard it, Connor laughing. Both of us were laughing hard without any particular reason. It just felt good to laugh.

Eventually we both calmed down. Connor was still sitting on his bed, while I sat on the floor. "Why are you getting all worked up on a girl?" I finally said. "Everybody knows you can get any girl so why let this chick get to you bro?" I leaned on my palms as I waited for his answer.

"I really like her," Connor replies, running a hand through his hair.

I couldn't help but roll my eyes. "You really like every girl you meet."

"But - "

"But nothing. Just find another chick to obsess on," then I pointed a finger towards him. "I bet you only knew this girl for like two days."

Connor snorted and crossed his arms over his chest,  "A little more than a week actually."

"And how many times did you guys see each other in person? Probably only once. The day you met," I retorted.