Chapter 24: Devin

DID YOU IMAGINE DEVIN AND FAITH LIKE THIS? @thefaultinourpizzas MADE THIS COVER.

Chapter 24: Devin

3 months later...

The Dawson's were to meet up with us in our place. I was honestly, looking forward to our annual ski trip because it felt great to have a break from all the school work. But I wasn't looking forward to seeing Faith for, in my opinion, the point of breaks were to get away from everyone in school (except for the close ones). Not to spend an entire week with them. Sure, Faith and I talk more often, but almost always our talks were about my dear Rosemarie.

I asked my brother to call her but obviously, it wasn't very successful. Rosemarie wouldn't pick up the phone, and when she finally did, she told Connor she wanted nothing to do with the Tuckerson's. I'm pretty sure Rosemaries parents and mine already knew what happened between us because it seemed they were going to cancel the trip to England this summer.

I insisted my parents for the trip to continue, since I wanted so badly to see Rosie, but they denied my proposal, telling me Rosie told her parents she didn't want to see me. I was absolutely devastated at what Rosemarie said. My already broken heart broke even more, and I never felt so hollow inside. I still tried to get her back, however: sending her text messages, leaving voicemails, contacting her through social websites. Whatever it takes, I wouldn't give up, not for a long time.

Suddenly, I felt a hand clamp down on my shoulder. I turned around, and looked at my brothers grey eyes. "Hey," he said. Connor came home last night for the ski trip, and when I told him about the Dawson's coming, I didn't know wether he was happy or not. His eyes lit at the fact Faith was coming, but his frown said otherwise.

"Faith is coming," I said.

"I know." Connor smiled, but it didn't reach his eyes. "Do you think I can change her mind about dating me during this trip?"

I shook my head, "By now, I thought you'd have another girl."

He sighed, "I thought so too, but it seems that when a girl rejects me, I get so hung up." He threw his head back as an agonized groan comes out from his throat. "You know how it was with Ali. She rejected me, and I couldn't get over her for several weeks. Months, I think. Whatever, it was a bad time for me."

I nodded. "I remember." Connor did everything to get Ali, and it was not a pretty sight. I'd never seen him so... desperate.

"They're here." Turning around to face the window, I saw dark green van pulling up our driveway. I could see Faith's jet black hair from where I stood, and I'm sure Connor could too. We both couldn't take our eyes from the van.

I looked away first since I wasn't so hung up on one of the Dawson's. I pushed Connor towards the door. "Come on, let's greet our guests."

***

My parents sat on the front of the van, my dad driving. Mr. and Mrs. Dawson sat on the seats behind my parents. A table - originally a chair - was seperating both of their seats. Glasses of champagne on top of the make-shift table. Faith, Connor, and I sat on the backmost row: Faith in the middle.

Beyond the laughter of our parents, was the unbearable tension at the back row. We barely spoke a word to each other, the silence was so thick it felt palpable. I could see my brother fidgeting hands, going everywhere on his body. He wouldn't stay still. Faith was the opposite, she was as stiff as a statue, only her eyes moved, darting from place to place.

My cheek was leaning on the window, as I so irretrievably tried to feel the fresh air. I felt like I was being choked by the tension. I tried nonchalantly to act as if I was just staring at the scenery flashing past us, but just like my brother, I kept on playing with my hands.

"So how's Rosemarie?" Faith asked shyly, in an attempt to break the silence. But that just made things worse, because it reminded me of what Rosemarie said, so thus, I just looked at her for a second before switching my gaze to window again.

"Things have been rough between Rosie and Devin. She said... some things and I don't think my brother would like to talk about it." Obviously, Connor took this as an opportunity.

Faith just nodded at his response.

"So h-how are you, Faith?" Connor stuttered.

I could tell Faith was taken by surprise when Connor tried to continue the conversation. "I'm great, how about you?"

"I've been better." Obviously, this reply was directed to Faith's rejection, but she ignored it.

"Well, I've never been skiing before," Faith said, fiddling with her phone. "I'd really liked to learn though."

"I can teach you!" Quickly said Connor, and I winced at his hastiness. My brother was best at keeping his cool, but I guess now is not the time.

I could feel Faith shift uncomfortably in her seat, before she smiled - a too stiff smile - and nodded at Connor, "Okay. Yeah, I'd like that." My brother grinned back like a crazy man. "So do you guys own a house there or are we staying in a resort?"

"We've got a place there," I finally contributed. "We're not used to bringing guests there, but I'm sure my parents will figure out how we can all fit. Connor and I might have to share a room again." I frowned at this idea. I never liked sharing a room with my brother, he was sloppy, and usually hogs everything.

"Little brother doesn't like sharing rooms with me," Connor explained. "He thinks I'm messy but - "

"You are," I interrupted.

He gave me stern look and continued, "But ever since I've started college, I've been more responsible. My dorm room is always clean."

I snorted in disbelief, "Yeah, I bet your gay roommate does all the work. Warning bro, he's just doing it all to get in your pants."

"I thought we were never going to talk about that!" My brother said loudly, enough to be heard through my parents laughter and Faith's fits of giggles.

I laughed with Faith, "It's hard not to mention." Connor crossed his arms against his chest, and fumed at our laughter. His cheeks reddened in embarassment.

"I thought gay meant happy, okay?" he mumbled.

After a couple more talks, we all settled down, tired from all the laughter. We went back to our original states but the tension gone, replaced with comfortable silence. Connor stopped squirming, but he still kept on casting glances at Faith. Faith would be too busy texting to notice my brothers affectionate glances. I still leaned on the car window but I had earphones on and now and then I would skip a song or look at pictures of Rosie.

Suddenly, I felt a heavy weight on my shoulder. I glanced to see what it was, and saw Faith sleeping soundly on my shoulder. Without hesitation, I pushed her head so she can lean on Connor's shoulder instead. Connor jumped at the sudden weight but then realized what happened. He looked at me for a while before mouthing 'Thank you.'

I wasn't thinking of my brother when I pushed Faith off me, I just wanted her off. I hated it when people put their head on my shoulder. It was uncomfortable, but only sometimes I'd make exceptions like with Rosie. She knew I didn't like it though, so she rarely did it.

I nodded back in response to my brother. He was grateful, and I was comfortable. It was a win-win situation. I watched him carefully put an arm around Faith. She snuggled into him, and he pulled her closer. But as Connor smiled adoringly at her and pushed a black stray hair away from Faith's face, I felt a stirring inconvenience in me.

Jealousy.