Chapter 27: Faith

Chapter 27: Faith

Connor and I came back before Devin. We were both on the living room couch. He was on one end, and I made sure to be on the other end. We had a good time skiing, and at least one of us enjoyed it; not that I didn't but now, I just feel very uncomfortable with Connor's feelings. Especially, when Devin and I had that thing while snowboarding.

When I fell on top of Devin, I expected the first thing he'd do was to push me off. If this had happened three months ago, that's what he would have done. In those three months of trying--unsuccessfully--to help Devin win back Rosie, I guess he stopped thinking of me as the bitch who broke he and his girlfriend up. I mean, I only apologized a million times and in some miraculous way, we even started becoming friends. My mind flashed back to that one day, two months ago.

It was Friday night and I was getting ready for another date with Cam. Putting on the final touches of my look, I was startled when my phone rang.

"Cam?" I answered, not looking at the caller ID. I mean, who else would call me?

"Sorry to disappoint," a deep voice replied. "but this isn't Cam. Although my newest idea to get Rosie to believe my innocence does involve that boyfriend of yours."

Devin. Of course.

"Actually, I'm getting ready for my date with him. Can we just move this--"

I was cut off when Devin said "Perfect! So both of you come over to my place!"

"But--" I didn't get to finish my sentence as Decvin had already hung up.

Ugh. Is he serious? What an inconsiderate piece of crap! I mean I know I owe him big time, but that doens't mean I should just drop whatever I'm doing and heed to his beck and call! But then again, he wouldn't have to be winning her back if I hadn't done that stupid dare in the first place. And there it was again. The guilt.

Fine, I decided, I'll go. Hopefully, Cam will agree to this last minute change of plans.

The phone started ringing again. Ergh. What does he want now?

I answered the phone with "Devin, I already agreed to come over. Are you that impatient?"

Silence on the other line greeted me.

"Uh, Devin?" I asked.

"Um," an uncomfortable cough reached my ears. "This isn't Devin."

Oh, crap. "Cam! Hi! I was just about to call you!"

"Yeah, um, Faith? Correct me if I'm wrong but don't we have a date tonight? Why are you going to Devin's house?"

"Are you near?" I asked, ignoring his question.

Cam made a thoughtful humming noise before replying, "yeah, just a few blocks away."

"Oh then I'll see you here!"

I was about to hang out when I heard his voice again. "Wait! What's this thing about Devin's house?"

I cursed in my head at the failed attempt of changing the subject. As I chewed on my lip, I thought of what he'd reply to Devin's idea. I'm hoping he'll understand, but due to some past events, I knew he wouldn't be. "Look. I'll tell you when you get here. Okay, babe?" And like the coward I am, I hung up as fast as I could.

After a few minutes, the doorbell rang. I hesitated to open the door, knowing Cam would be upset with the change of plans. I was right as I was met with a frown. "So what's this about Devin?"