10

"What do you mean I have to meet your parents tonight?" I hissed into the receiver.

"You have to meet my parents tonight. You don't think they wouldn't want to meet my homecoming date, who is also my girlfriend?" Xabrien asked.

"Shoot, I don't know."

"Well they do, and so you will."

"Xabrien I am not ready to meet your parents." I shook my head.

"Of course you're not, you still somewhere getting your make up done huh?" He asked.

"Oh my God you're so annoying."

"Yeah, but I'm your annoying. You'll be fine." He said innocently.

"Whatever, bye Xabrien."

I kissed my teeth and hung the phone up. We'd decided on going to his homecoming, and since Hadia was in deep shit about her grades, her sex life, and talking back, she wasn't going.

I was still going to be confused as her for the whole entire night so it didn't matter if she did or didn't go.

I was excited for the night until he said I had to meet his parents. Homecoming at his school happened later than the one at ours. But I guess maybe he felt like it was time. We've been together for almost two months and I still haven't even seen the outside of his house.

I was trying to avoid his house to avoid having sex, but who knew I'd fall victim to the backseat?

He'd been into my house several times. It only took my father to see me getting out of his car two times before he was deemed my boyfriend. Therefore he had to introduce himself and prove to my father he was decent enough to even be in my presence.

He'd even seen the inside of my room, we chilled with the door open by my fathers request. But I had never met his parents or been to his house.

It felt good to have my parents knowing that I had a boyfriend. I didn't have to lie about where I was or who I was with. Just say I was with Xabrien and what time I'd be home and everything was cool.

"Who was that?" Mama asked when she noticed that my expression had changed.

"Xabrien."

"Why you look so upset?"

"Cause he wants me to meet his parents but I'm not ready for that." I sighed.

"Why you not?"

"Because, that's a big step."

"So, he met us."

"Cause y'all wouldn't let me go no where with him if y'all didn't know him." I said in a duh tone.

"So, what if his people stop him from seeing you cause they don't know you?" She asked.

"It's different. Boys don't get pregnant so male parents don't really care who their kid is running with."

"I wish the hell you would get pregnant. I'm a convicted felon and I ain't scared to go back to Angola." My father came up out of no where with a footlocker bag in his hands.

My parents truly were something else.

~

"Girl quit acting nervous! Even if my people don't like you, I like you, so Ima keep kicking it with you." Xabrien assured me as we walked to his door.

"It still matters!" I yelled at him.

"No it don't. They don't gotta eat yo cat. I do. So shut it up." He mumbled unlocking the door. "Ma! Da!"