11

"Man it's hot as fuck out here. I thought it was supposed to be winter." My Daddy groaned as he pushed the lawnmower.

"You're just hot cause you're working. You pushing that lawnmower." I said to my father.

He nodded his head and continued to push the lawnmower.

I stood on the sidewalk sweeping the grass like I always did. This was our bonding activity. My father cut the grass, I swept it up, then we sat for a while and drank and talked.

But today it was rushed because some people decided they wanted to have a cook out in the winter. That's a summer time activity. Sharonda and Ronald had the seasons mixed up. They wanted to celebrate their anniversary and invited the entire block.

But it was mostly stuck up white people on our block so I doubted any of them would show up.

"Your boyfriend coming to the cook out?" My father asked.

"I think so. I'm not sure."

"Not sure? How are you not sure?"

"Because I don't watch his every single move." I laughed. "I'm not sprung on him daddy."

"Shit you better not be sprung on nobody. I raised you to have the niggas chasing you. Not you chasing the niggas. I don't know where Hadia get that shit from." Daddy shook his head.

"Me either." I shrugged. "Can I help you with the grill and stuff today?"

He laughed a little before sipping his drink.

"Yeah you can help me princess. I always imagined teaching my son how to work the grill. But God had other plans." Daddy chuckled.

My parents only wanted two kids, and they were trying for a boy when they ended up with twins. They refused to try again in fear of having another set of twins. I can't say I blame them. Because Hadia and I could be a handful at times.

We had the habit of both wanting expensive things at the same time. Luckily, we were financially stable and it worked out because one parent would buy what we wanted for us.

"If you had the choice, would you take the car you and Hadia sharing now, or would you want a different one?" Daddy asked out of no where.

"It doesn't matter. Long as it's not no buggy, got four wheels and get me where I need to go I'm good." I expressed.

Daddy laughed and nodded his head.

"Don't tell ya mama I told you, but I want get you a different car, a new one. You deserve it. I'm proud of you. You haven't gotten in any kinda trouble and you keep your grades up. You even went and got a boyfriend and didn't break focus. I'm so proud of you for that."

"Thank you daddy." I pulled him into a sweaty hug.

"Now go shower girl! And hurry up down here so we can do our thing on this grill." My father smiled.

One thing I could say about my father, he loved his kids to pieces. He would do any and everything just to see us crack a smile. So when it happened, his heart exploded.

~

Never Too Much by Luther Vandross blared through the speakers as a few family members and one or two neighbors lounged around our patio.

I understood why niggas at the grill were always sweating. It was hot as fuck standing over the grill. My father left me in charge of the hot dogs.

I felt like I was really doing something. I felt an arm snake around my waist and was greeted by Xabrien's warm eyes.

"Look at you working ya wrist!"