The accident

"Daddy! Where's mommy! I want mommy!" Carter hit my leg with her small hand and I smiled but my smile went to a frown. I haven't told her.

"Princess, your mom won't be back in a while. She's on a trip." I told and picked her up. I carried her and tried to get her to sleep.

"I want mommy!" She cried out. It broke my heart. Everything did. Carter didn't deserve this.

"She told me if I put you to sleep, she would have a gift for your birthday." I told and she rubbed her eyes.

"No daddy. I want mommy only." She whined.

"You got daddy here. Mommy will be back. We will be okay." I say and try to convenience myself that I'm convincing her.

I rocked her in my arms and soon saw she fell asleep. I walked to her room and laid her in a crib. She still needed one. She was pretty small for her age. Doesn't weigh much either. The only reason we kept her crib was because she had night terrors. Elisa was always scared something bad will happen. I mean yeah it's scary but we handled it. But now it's just me. I put a baby blanket next to her and a soft teddy bear.

She looked happy. I smiled and walked out her room making sure her room door was open slightly. I walked to my room and jumped in bed. I looked to he side and grabbed a picture frame from the night stand. A picture of the family. Carter was around 3 months and 4 months old. Elisa was looking down at Carter. I was looking at Elisa. I remember that day so well.

It all happened to fast. The light. I was there. Carter in the back. Elisa was driving cause I was to drunk. We went to a party at Pete's house. I let my mom babysit Carter. Everything went to fast. Apparently the car that hit Elisa's side was a drunk driver. Carter and I made it out alive thanks to some strangers I later thanked. But Elisa her leg was trapped. She was out of it. There I was standing at the edge of her hospital bed. The only thing keeping her alive was a machine. I was crying. I was holding her hand like she was my only thing keeping me from flying away. They pulled the plug and all I heard was that stupid machine. She was gone.

I let a tear roll out my cheek. I wiped it away and forced in good memories. This journey of Carter and I will be fun. I just gotta stay alive. I have family and friends to support me. It's all gonna be fine. I just gotta watch Carter grow up.