chapter seven [berries and cream]

Sleep had not come as easily as the first few nights. After Jungkook left the room to allow me some peace and quiet, a small growl came from my stomach. I hadn't eaten in a while, and the rumble only intensified as I stayed in the bed for hours. 

11:28 p.m. 

It was rather late into the night as no sounds could be heard throughout the rest of the house. Perhaps I could slip away to gather something to eat before being caught. Sighing, I slowly rose from my position on the bed, holding a hand to my head as the vertigo caused dizziness to interfere with my line of sight. 

Shuffling slightly towards the door, I reached out for the the cold knob and turned it slightly. The entire hallway was covered in the vast darkness of the evening, only slight moonlight seeped in from a tiny window in the corridor. All the other doors had been closed, one having lights seeping from underneath.

Stealthily, I stepped out with one foot gingerly before taking tiny steps to exit the hallway. A lamp in the living room made it clear as to what objects were in front of me. There were no signs of anyone outside of their rooms, a low static sound coming from the room farthest down the hall. 

Sighing, I continued to walk forward until my hand felt around for the switch. The kitchen, or what I assumed to be the pantry, was connected to the living room with a large island separating the two. I turned the light on to get a better vision of the different utilities and features of the kitchen. 

My feet led me to a cupboard but as I swung it open I was only met with glass cups. Several large butcher knives littered the countertops and cutting boards that seemed to be stained a permanent crimson color. Water dripped from the faucet in intervals, hitting a metallic pan beneath it to create a soft 'ping' noise.

Closing the cupboard, I opened another and found it full of fruits. Strawberries, mangoes, peaches, bananas, blueberries and blackberries seemed freshly stocked. My stomach released a low moan once more as I reached for a carton of bright red strawberries. 

Footsteps reached the end of the corridor, entering the living room and navigating towards the kitchen. I quickly snapped my head, frightened that I had been caught trying to take food that hadn't belonged to me. 

Taehyung, dressed in nothing more than a dark grey sweater matching black sweatpants, made his way to the cupboard next to me. He eyed me in disbelief, reaching for the highest shelf and pulling down a tall glass cup. 

A pitcher on the nearby counter was filled with ice water, the cubes jingling as he poured it into the glass and downing it. The tips of his hair seemed damp slightly, perhaps from an earlier shower, but the viridian in his eye seemed dull and tired. 

'Need some help there?' Reaching up, he grabbed the strawberries and placed them before me on the counter. Taking another swig of his water, he went to turn the sink on. I stood by in curiosity as he took out each individual berry and washed it to rid of the dirt and leftover dust particles. He silently went through all of them, placing them in a tiny white bowl from another cupboard. 

His hands took a butcher knife from nearby, cutting each of the blood red strawberries in half and putting them back into the bowl. The cutting board was now covered in the dark red juice.

Wordlessly, he walked over to the refrigerator as he peered inside for the item that he had been needing. A large container was pulled out, and I quickly identified it as cool whip, but I wasn't too sure as to why he had decided to chose that specific item.

Leaning over the island, he took the lid off of the cool whip and dipped a strawberry into it, handing it out to me. I gazed at it for a few moments, not sure if accepting his kind gesture would be the optimal thing to do. 

His hand grabbed for mine, gently leading me to beside him as he put the entire thing into my mouth. He merely put another one into the whip and took a bite from it, staring out into the empty space of his own living room.

The awkward silence prevailed. I couldn't conjure up any words to say to him that might have made the situation any worse than it could have been. 

'The flesh of a strawberry cannot compare to that of another living organism.' His voice lowered slightly as he took another from the bowl, biting into it. Spots on the island formed from the scarlet juice of the strawberry. 

'I-I'm sorry if I had offended you earlier, I didn't mean to by any means...' I trailed off, looking at him to see if he would accept my pathetic apology.

He merely raised an eyebrow, turning to look at me slightly. 

'I wasn't offeneded.' 

The heat returned to my cheeks, spreading like a wildfire that couldn't be stopped unless I had them pressed against something cool. I knew Taehyung had caught on as well because he had leaned in, a tiny smirk forming on his lips. 

'Why are your cheeks turning so red? Now you're starting to look like a strawberry.' Laughing, he popped another into his mouth, grinning in sheer amusement.

'I- I thought you'd be angry with me.' Seconds passed by before I turned my head and nearly jumped back from the distance.

His face had been mere inches from my own, the amber eye flickering in the soft light of the bulb above us. The scar had seemed to be a phantom, hardly visible on his soft skin. 

His appearance alone made the blush spread across my neck.

'Now why would I be upset with Cheon-uk's girl if she hasn't done anything wrong?' The distance was closed even further as he leaned in to whisper into my ear.

'Trust me darling, you'll catch me dead before I lose my temper with you.'

-

bobby green - lights for this chapter 

don't ever sit on glasses, that beep hurts

-elise and danny