chapter ten [stream of consciousness]

Sometimes when I can see the outline of a person next to me, my mind plays a dirty trick on me. The face and body of Cheon-uk is right below my touch. The warmth radiating from him gives me the sense of protection and I don't feel the pain anymore. It's still completely dark outside as I lay my fingers against his arm, drawing the shapes I've managed to conjure up in my mind.

Then, he'll wake and look upon my sleepily. His amber eyes will reflect the pale moonlight that comes in through the blinds. The sheets will ruffle as he moves a bit closer, bringing in his head and resting it on the bit left to my own pillow. 

'Nari, can you still not sleep?' Hoots from several owls outside fill the silence surrounding up. Wind blows in through the barely opened window and I'm still captivated by his gaze and his beauty in the dark. Although I cannot tell if this is actually Cheon-uk, I'm hung up on the being before me.

'You're always awake at this time. Is something on your mind?'

Yes. 

The words are stuck on my wretched tongue, not able to escape my mouth. I can't utter a sound or word to reply back. I can only look at him.

His hand reaches out to brush back the hair shrouding my vision. Now his entire being is in view and my heart races in it's cage. Seconds go by while this stranger who seemingly acts like Cheon-uk is in front of me. 

The reality of the situation dawns upon me but he is so graceful and breathtaking that my eyes will not leave the tiny scratches and nicks marring his facial features. With a defined jawline and a gaze as pure as a child's, he smiles upon seeing my lack of wording.

He knows that my mind is racing with unwanted thoughts and meaningless information that can only harm me. Simply touches on my arm are enough for me to close my eyes to enjoy the butterfly feel. I can hear his breathing clearly next to me, in and out several times over to keep himself alive. 

Though the sheets are the only deterrent keeping us apart, he knows that limits are set for a given reason. He cannot keep his fingers on me for too long out of fear that I am a captive. 

I have not been in the presence of Cheon-uk tonight. Jungkook has been helping me sleep the past few weeks. My scattered brain is often racking up nightmares that prevent me from wandering to a more peaceful plane of existence. 

I'm afraid that tonight is not an exception. However, he's dedicated himself to sleep by my side until I'm completely out. Once he sees that I'm sleeping, he'll go back to his own bedroom.

His face seems slightly more exhausted as lines cover the underside of his eyes in dark pools. This alone has been taking away a lot of sleep from him.

'I'm sorry, Jungkook.'

The amber gaze snaps back onto me with curiosity.

'What are you apologizing for?' He speaks in a hushed tone, for the rest of the household members have already turned in for the night.

'You've been skipping out on sleep lately because of me. Really, you don't have to-' My statement is cut off as he presses a finger to my lips in an act of silence. 

The lines around his mouth curve as he flashes me a sorrowful smile in the night. If he had not been so far away, Cheon-uk would most likely have slipped my mind completely. That thought alone terrifies me to death. 

'My role in this household is to clean up the mess that Taehyung creates. Out of spite he can act like a child if things don't go his way and we've all seen his tendencies if his cravings are not fed.' The distance between us two decreased as he took my fingers into his grasp.

'Whatever Taehyung breaks, I must fix. This is how it has been for as long as I can remember. If he's murdered someone, then I dispose of the body. If he wants me to collect another victim so he can taste blood again, then I have to. Nothing I do is without Taehyung's doing.' A drip of choked misery cracked his voice slightly, and I knew immediately that talking about such a matter was horrifying to us all.

'That night, whenever Taehyung attacked you in the living room, he had told me to stay away from you. But after seeing the condition he left you in, I knew that was impossible. '

I flinched back as he scooted in even closer.

'He'd broken you. That was when I realized that you were only alive so that he could have the enjoyment of toying with an individual instead of killing them instantly.'

'Jungkook, I-'

'Nari, the only thing I want you to do right now is to have a good dream. You can hold onto me if that helps.'

My fingers firmly grasped his torso, and I knew that letting go would not be easy.

'Sweet dreams, Nari.'

-

petit biscuit is the real mvp

sorry it's kinda short-

memories by petit biscuit for this chapter

-danny&elise