chapter eleven [bonkers]

It was the same nightmare each night. The one that carried the scent of pure blood and sweat to my nostrils without warning. The scathing heat from the sun would transform into that of a winter night in seconds. All source of light would be engulfed by darkness and two figures would stand in the distance. A single spotlight would shine upon the glazed look in their eyes.

My brother and my mother. The floor beneath them would give way until they've been swallowed up by the entire floor. More spotlights would turn on, giving way to a path that runs deep into a cave that groans and snarls ferociously. A sort of invisible string would drag me towards the cavern, and the last I'd feel before waking is the breath of a beast on the nape of my neck.

I must be mad.

Rings appear in the bowl of cereal placed on the table. The spoon falls further and further into the milk until only a stub of metal is sticking out. I've realized that perhaps it's time for me to find an escape route, one that will not only allow me to get away, but to avoid having to go home all together.

A large 'smack' frightened me from my seat. Taehyung slapped the newspaper down onto the table and hit Jimin with a little more force than necessary.

'Jimin, how old are you?' An intense silence filled the room as Jungkook looked away from the scene in contempt. Jimin took his thumb out of his mouth slowly.

'N-Nineteen.'

'Do you see any other nineteen year olds sucking their thumbs the way you do?' Taehyung's voice became dangerously quiet, his hands folding into one another.

'But-'

'Taehyung, that's enough. I'll talk to him.' Jungkook shot up from his seat and ushered Jimin to do the same. With Jimin's bumbling figure, they disappeared from the sight of the kitchen table.

Sighing, he reached for his reading glasses, opening the pages of the newspaper once more and taking a drink from him cup.

'What a poor guard dog he is, indeed.'

-

Night was approaching quickly and it brought cold winds and a storm above. A knock on the door in the middle of the night rang out eerily throughout the cabin. I placed down the puzzle book and waited patiently for Taehyung to come open it.

He walked several minutes later, toweling through his still wet hair. Three huddled figures ran into the living room, shaking water from their umbrellas. I stood to slither out of the room unnoticed until Jimin ran straight into the room, arms outstretched. His form nearly bulldozed my own down, causing the attention to turn to us.

'Nari, it's rather rude to leave without introducing yourself to my guests.' Taehyung switched on a few lamps, illuminating a young woman who was scantily dressed in nothing more than a skimpy dress, stiletto heels and a thin windbreaker dyed bright scarlet.

I bowed my head towards them, trying not to stutter over any words.

'I'm Nari, nice to meet you.'

The woman walked into the home before taking on seat on a coach, beckoning the two other men to follow in her lead.

'Yeah, hi. I'm Ke-rin and these are my bodyguards, Seok-jin and Namjoon. Why the hell are you here though?'

'Her boyfriend is Cheon-uk.' With those simple words, she briefly widened her eyes, then analytically raked them down my frame.

'Jeez, his taste is getting worse these days. So what'd he offer this time? More money?' Jimin pressed into her side, almost nuzzling as if he were a child and she were the moth-

I froze, understanding now who this woman was. My stomach churned as I began to feel sick again. The way these people operated was more bizarre than anything I had ever witnessed. It was too much to take in at a time.

Ke-rin ran her fingers through his hair, cooing him while pressing her fingers against his cheek.

'Secret.' Taehyung replied before making his way to the kitchen.

'Sit down, we have business to discuss.'

My feet carried me towards the hall.

'You too, Nari.'

Both Ke-rin and her bodyguards looked at Taehyung, disbelief shadowing their expressions.

'You can't be serious. She's going to snitch on you Taehyung, you never know what little girls like her are capable of.' Using a long finger nail, she attempted to pick her others.

There was no response from Taehyung, so I merely sat on a short wooden stool. I placed the book onto the floor while Ke-rin sat upright, pushing Jimin off her.

My eyes wandered to the two bodyguards sitting across from Ke-rin on a large couch. Their hairs were dyed a light lilac and bleach blonde color that complimented each other rather well. They both bore tattoos on the back of their necks, an arrow broken in half.

The one with blonde hair caught my gaze and I turned away in embarrassment to avoid conflict.

Taehyung came back with a baby bottle filled with a murky ivory liquid and a bottle of sparkling water. Ke-rin placed the bottle between Jimin's lips, and I heard someone exiting the hall. Turning around, Jungkook cautiously eyed the three strangers before walking towards the kitchen and grabbing a bottle of water.

'Jungkook, have you no respect for your mother?' Ke-rin shouted at him, stroking Jimin's soft skin.

'You're not my mother.' Casually, he walked back towards his room and slammed the door shut.

'That boy is becoming more and more like his father. A nuisance to others.' Scoffing, she continued to baby Jimin who was placed between her legs.

A twitch was evident in my left eye, perhaps from the crazy events or how I longed to run out of the cabin even with the storm.

This woman could not possibly be their real mother. Her title may signify other implied innuendos. I shivered in my spot.

'You're not taking very good care of her. She's all bones and skin.' Ke-rin reached for the sparkling water and drained a quarter of it.

'She's not eating.' Taehyung simply answered as he pulled out a cigarette from it's case, offering one to Seok-jin and Namjoon. Each lit the stick and filled the air with light gray smoke.

'What's the count on this month?' The blonde headed bodyguard spoke rashly, running his fingers through his hair.

Taehyung laughed, a deep sound that seemed condescending in the given situation.

'Right to business, eh Jin?'

He leaned back in his seat, looking towards the ceiling and releasing more smoke.

'827. This month. A shipment from China hasn't arrived yet, and I'm expecting at least 39 more.'

'Someone at work was asking for you again, good looking Cheon-uk I believe it was.' Ke-rin adjusted her dress, lowering it and revealing more of the cleavage.

Taehyung licked his lips, eyeing her and I nearly gagged out loud.

'Are you sure it wasn't another client of yours? There's plenty of men who'd pay to see you strip for em'.'

'He wants to put her 'missing' status to 'dead,' but we'll need to use another body with her blood on it. Personally, I think you're both fucking crazy.' She cackled, taking a cigarette for herself.

Taehyung lazily gazed upon me, biting his lower lip.

'When does he want to meet?'

The lilac haired guard checked his watch, clicking his tongue.

'He should be here in ten minutes.'

-

tbh today is an updating kind of day

mad hatter-melanie martinez

-danny&elise