An Idea Grown

She stared at him for a while. She loved to watch him work. He was hunched over the worn oak table, a pile of intel and maps spread out before him. He was planning the next attack, working out a strategy before bringing it to Preston. Even though he was the General of the Minutemen, he valued the opinion of his people deeply.

The Sole Survivor, as he had been known to most of the Commonwealth. Trapped alone in torment for two hundred years in the depths of Vault 111, he had exploded into the Wasteland with a vengeance. He had single handedly tore the city formerly known as Boston apart in search of his lost son. Now, that the war was over though, he was taking great care in reshaping and piecing the lands back together for the people.

She had been there by his side through all of it. He had rescued her from the confines of Vault 81. He had needed a cure for a mole rat sickness for a boy in the vault. He had stumbled upon her by accident but didn't hesitate a second in bringing her along in his quest for his son.

John, that was what he had said his name was. Such a strong name she had thought upon hearing it. They traveled together for weeks. She had begun to grow fond of this man as they walked between settlements, searching for anything that would lead them to the Institute to find his missing boy.

Then she had received word one day that there was a possibility she could free herself from her nanny bot shell and become more human. She had told the Sole Survivor about the small chance and hoped that someday he would help her achieve this goal.

She could still remember the look on his handsome face sitting across the small campfire that day she told him. He had thought hard for the words. He had carefully considered his answer. He sat forward on top his sleeping bag and smiled. The words he said next still rang in her mind today.

"Curie, I can tell this is important to you. I might know a doctor who can help. We will head there in the morning and see what she can do."

That was that. He had not hesitated. He did not go back on his word. He had completely put her, a robot, in front of his own quest. John was a different kind of man. He was no longer a survivor, he was a savior.

Since that day, Curie knew she loved this man. She wanted nothing more than to watch him change the world. He had sacrificed much for her and the rest of the people living in the Commonwealth and she would do anything to repay her debt. She would follow him to the ends of the Earth, to the very pits of hell if need be. It seemed now though, that was exactly where they were headed.

John had reformed the Minutemen with Preston Garvey. Together they had taken back their beloved Castle and rebuilt their ranks into an unstoppable force. They had vanquished the evil and corruption of the Institute who had plagued these lands for too long. They had won. There would be peace, or so Curie had thought.

Another group had wanted that glory, The Brotherhood of Steel. They had been scouring the lands for years in hopes that they would be the ones to take down The Institute. With their victory ripped from them, their anger and power had no where to go. They began to fear an uprising from the Minutemen and their newly gained fame.

They had sent an emissary to Castle in a flimsy display of peace. They had declared that they want no trouble and if the Minutemen bent to their will there would be no casulaties. John knew better. He had been a member of The Brotherhood of Steel for a brief time in hopes they would bring him closer to the Institute and his son. They had lost the Sole Survivor's respect when they had tried to force him into killing his friend and mentor, Paladin Danse.

Sure Danse had been a synth, but to John he was just as human as anyone else. Danse was a friend and a kind hearted person. John would never destroy anything with a heart for peace. He had fled the Brotherhood that day, with Danse in tow. He had offered him shelter at Castle and protection from the Brotherhood.