A Very Synthetic Discussion

"Valentine? No. No one has heard from him since the Brotherhood took over the city."

John nodded. It made sense. Nick Valentine was a synth, and not even a convincing one. His body had been ravaged by time and assault. He used to own a private eye office inside Diamond City long before the Brotherhood of Steel took up residence. Valentine had been committed to finding loved ones all across the Commonwealth that had gone missing, presumably taken by the Institute.

After the Institute fell, Valentine contacted the Sole Survivor. He had explained that he was needed else where, a very important mission on an island. John had wanted to go, to help, but tensions with the Brotherhood had kept him here in the Wasteland. The detective had promised to send word when he returned, John hadn't heard anything.

"Well, what about Ellie? If anyone knew where Nick was, it would be her."

"Well getting to her is going to be tricky."

"Why? What's happened Piper?" John asked as concern crept on to his strong features.

"Ellie has been in lock up since the Brotherhood found out she was loyal to a synth. They won't let her leave until she tells them where and when Nick is going to show up again in the Commonwealth."

"Damnit!" John yelled. He kicked the blue cooler next to the cooking fire. The sound boomed into the small camp, echoing off the high stone walls.

He was so sick of all of it. The fighting, the hiding, the running. He was sick of the innocent being murdered or locked up like mole rats. He just wanted to live his life. He wanted to help his people grow and prosper. He wanted to make this world a better place for his son. He was running out of steam, becoming more despaired by the day.

"Woah there Blue. Keep making all that noise and you're sure to attract something to us."

"You're right. I'm sorry Piper." He took a deep breath and sat down.

"Look, it's not going to be easy, okay? I think I can get us a way into the lock up and free that secretary."

"Really? How?"

"I know a guy, one of the guards. He's a nice enough guy, young. Too young to be a soldier. I think he's got eyes for me if you catch my drift?"

"Aww Piper, some guy moving in on my territory huh?"

She tossed an empty beer bottle over his head. He ducked out of the way and watched the smile creep across her face. They giggled like children for a moment, enjoying the simplicity of laughter, for what could be the last time.

"Anyways, he flirts with me everytime I go in to see the warden at the lock up."

"Why would you need to talk to the warden?"

"I get called in every so often. The Brotherhood likes me to write stories on dissenters. Keeps the rest in line I guess.

"The guy I am talking about works guard duty in the minimum security area underneath the city. He is our best shot."

The Sole Survivor took a moment to think over everything he heard. It was a kink in the plan he hadn't expected, but John learned a long time ago that nothing in this life came easy. Things in the Wasteland never happened as they were planned out. He would have to adapt and get Ellie out.

Detective Nick Valentine was important to the plan, but an innocent woman like Ellie didn't deserve detention like this. He would help her, get her free, even if she had no clue how to contact Valentine. He would do it simply because it was the right thing to do.

"Alright Piper, how should we get Ellie out?"

"I was thinking I could swipe a set of keys off that guard and get her out during a shift change."

"Is there any chance you could get a hold of a work roster?"

"Probably," Piper replied after thinking it over. "They keep it right out in the open. It's not on a terminal or anything. Why? What are you thinking?"

"Nothing concrete yet. It couldn't hurt though to know who is expected in on that shift change, just in case."

He was already formulating a plan in his head but he didn't want to worry her about the specifics. She wouldn't be part of what he was planning, and he didn't want her thinking she would be tagging along. John didn't want to put Piper in the middle of needless danger, she would be in enough of it already. No, he would take care of it himself.

"Okay then, at sun up I need you to get back to Diamond City to get that work schedule for the next few days. When you return, we can talk more about how we will go about this."

"Sounds good, Blue." Piper said nodding. "So, now what?" She asked with a smirk.

"We sleep, Piper. Just sleep." John sighed as he moved to grab his sleeping bag.

"Well that's no fun." She huffed as she moved to do the same.

John waited for a while, laying in his sleeping bag. He needed Piper to be asleep. He looked over at her across the cooking fire, watching her breathing. Her back was turned towards him but she hadn't stirred in some time. He shimmied out of his bag and walked around the side of the building, pretending he was going to the bathroom. When she didn't wake, he slipped around the corner and headed towards the gate and out of the alley.

He helped the door on the gate shut, so it wouldn't slam. Crouching down, he crept quietly out of the alley. He listened for immediate sounds, ignoring the constant ring of distant gunshots. He was mostly concerned about the ground beneath him, he didn't want to disturb any sleeping radscorpions. They littered the city and we're especially feral at night.

He hoped he would be able to make it before morning. He needed to get to the other side of Diamond City and back. While the distance was short, he had no clue what kind of obstacles would be waiting for him. He needed to get to that supply depot. He checked to make sure his stealth boy was strapped to his belt, as he crept off into the night.