To the Prydwen and Beyond

"General! Is it good to see you alive and well, sir." Danse greeted his close friend with a smile that was infectious. The Sole Survivor could feel the joy showing through on his face as well, in spite of the seriousness of the reunion.

Even though John and Danse were strong friends, it had been a while since they had seen each other. The former soldier often insisted on escorting caravans and helping out at the Minutemen check points that dotted along the Commonwealth. Danse was rarely seen at Castle.

John was aware that it in part was because of Hancock. Danse didn't really trust the man and often mentioned he was likely to stab them all in the back one day. John knew that it was very likely he would catch the ghoul skimming the coffers long before he would actually betray him. He had, for the most part, tuned out Danse's buzzing.

John also knew that the real reason Danse stayed away from Castle was because of Shaun and Curie. Their existence tore at Danse's very foundations. Reflecting, that everything the man had thought he knew, believed in, his whole life had been a lie. Seeing those two synths mingle, and socialize like real humans, seemed to make it harder for the man to come to grips with who he was.

John had joined the Brotherhood of Steel years ago under Danse's mentorship. For awhile things were good, that was until, John saw the truth of Elder Maxon's madness. Maxon had wanted John to execute Danse once he had been outed as a synth. John had been promised rank and reward if he only played along and kept it swept under the rug.

The Sole Survivor had refused, of course. Making Danse and himself public enemy number one in the eyes of the Brotherhood. John was certain that with that decision, coupled with the Minutemen bringing down the Institute, had drove the leader of the Brotherhood of Steel to turn their guns on them. Starting this entire war from dissention and failed victory. His ego had been hurt, and Maxon was holding nothing back to reclaim it. John would stand for it no longer.

"Danse, dammit it is good to see you."

"It has been too long."

"I would love to catch up, but we are out of time at the moment. How have things been here?" John asked as he swept his arm out, gesturing at their surroundings.

The stolen vertibird had been parked at the very top of the old Trinity Towers building. It had been mostly  vacant since the Sole Survivor had aided a super mutant named Strong years before. The mutant hadn't wanted to join the Minutemen at the time but had vowed that he would aid John if he had needed.

The Sole Survivor was glad to see that super mutant had maintained security of the building and allowed them to store the bird here. Strong had emptied out several of the top floors, allowing Haylen to nestle the machine out of sight until the time was right. That time was today, now.

"Things are well. I never imagined I would have an ally in one of those things, but Strong has proved more than capable in providing ground support. He keeps the raiders and other mutants far away from this place."

"Good to hear. And Haylen, is she ready to fly? I need to signal Piper soon."

"I am General." Haylen answered as she came out from behind the helicopter.

"Haylen, I am so happy that you pulled through your injuries."

"Thank you, sir. It'll take a lot more than a mere gunshot to keep me from this fight."

"Good. Are you ready?" John asked. Haylen saluted in response before turning to jump back in the pilot seat.

The Sole Survivor pulled a pair of large binoculars from his pack and looked towards the buildings near Diamond City. He stopped on Sturges in his designated building just outside the Brotherhood of Steel's main patrol area. He could see the man typing furiously at the terminals in front of his window, making sure all was in place.