It'll All Be Over Soon

Three days. Three days Curie had been waiting at the tiny settlement in Hangman's Alley. Three days she had had to listen to that woman's nonsense. Curie didn't know what it was about Piper that got to her, but whatever it was, it was grating. Her patience for the woman's babble and blatant disrepect for John and her relationship had grown thin. She had thought she was reaching the edge when finally, Preston Garvey had arrived.

"Preston, what's the status on the vertibird?" The Sole Survivor asked as Garvey entered the small compound.

"In place and ready to go General." Preston answered after a sturdy salute. Curie could feel the air crackling with the serious mood. John had not even tried to correct Preston when he addressed him as general or the salute, he had merely sighed and moved past it.

"Good. Danse, Rhys, and Haylen still in position?"

"Yes. They will guard the bird's location until you arrive. At which point Haylen will fly you to the Prydwen."

"Just you monsieur? I will not be flying with you?" Curie interrupted.

John excused himself from Preston for a moment, gently pulling Curie to the side. He pulled her close him, laying his hand on the small of her back. He reached his other hand up to her cheek, looking deep into her eyes.

"My love, I wish things could be different." He started, the sadness tinged his words. "You will be more needed here, with the settlers coming from Diamond City. You are one of the small few we have that are actually trained as a medic. Your place is here, for now."

She had wanted to object, to protest, but she knew that she had no valid argument. He was right, she would be needed here. She hadn't wanted to test her voice right then, fearing it would crack. She simply nodded her agreement. He ran his thumb down her cheek, caressing the gentle curves of her feminine face. He kissed her forehead lightly, before breaking their embrace.

"Preston." John spoke quietly. His voice trembled as he tried to push aside his emotions. "You and Curie will remain here, in Hangman's Alley. The Minutemen will need help funneling out the traffic from Diamond City.

"We need to move them in smaller groups. Disperse them to the outlying settlements. Have Curie treat any injuries sustained during their journey here. The walk may be short, but all those people flooding out are going to draw the attention of the super mutant camps and raiders."

"Aye, General!" Preston saluted once more before turning off. He moved through the encampment to begin the preparations with Ronnie.

The plan was to pull all the settlers into Hangman's Alley as a way point. Groups of Minutemen squads would arrive every half hour to take these people through the Commonwealth and into other more fortified settlements.  They would not have long to gather up and move out. Everything had to run smoothly.

They had supplies at the ready, food and medicine mostly, to give to the groups as they made their escape. What worried Curie most was when  the refugees would arrive initially. It was to be the shortest leg of their journey sure, but it was by far the most dangerous. For 'Rocket's Red Glare' to be successful, all the residents from Diamond City would have to leave all at once. With the townspeople vacating so quickly, the Brotherhood of Steel would have no time to prepare for the next phases of the assault.

"Piper?" John called out into the camp. Off on the other end a hand waved them over. The Sole Survivor slipped his hand in Curie's as they moved to meet the snarky journalist. They found Piper in a small alcove with Ellie eating lunch.

"Piper, are you ready to move?"

"Yeah Blue. I can go at a moment's notice."

"Good. You need to escort Ellie and Valentine to the drop point. Sturges should be there already. He needs to prep the terminals for the main assault."

"Hey, I wanted to have a little chat about that, seeing as how I'm new to this whole plan thing." Valentine spoke up from his device. His eye blinked awkwardly, as though he was trying to figure out how to make it work like his old face had. Curie almost giggled at the former synth trying to emote with nothing more than a metal sphere.

"I don't want to give too much information, Nick. I really only know the what, not the how. I wouldn't be able to answer all your questions. Sturges will explain it all once Ellie gets you to him."

Valentine's eye nodded as Ellie carried him away to finish packing for their journey.  John turned and headed towards a small oak dresser the camp used to store ammunition. He began slipping fusion cells into a small back pack. Curie placed her hand on his stopping his packing.

"My love, I must go prepare the infirmary supplies. I'm afraid I will not be here to see you off. Shall we say goodbye now?"

The Sole Survivor zipped the pack and shoved it up on his shoulder. He put both his hands in hers and looked at her. His gaze, she could see, shifted in and out of focus. He was deep in thought, of what she couldn't guess. She knew though, that he had much to say but seemed to be having trouble getting the words out.

"It's okay." She spoke softly. His shoulders sank in relief. "We don't need to say goodbye because I will be reunited with you by morning."

John could only nod his head, not trusting his voice. She embraced him, pressing her body against his. She could feel him trembling, on the verge of tears. He was scared, she knew, she felt the same fear of what was to come. She took a deep breath and put her mouth close to his ear.

"It'll all be over soon." She whispered.