An Unlikely Sanctuary

"Becareful now, you've gone through quite the ordeal." A small voice whispered. Lilelle opened her eyes to the warm smile of Babette, a vampire girl employed in the Dark Brotherhood.

"How did I get to the Dawnstar Sanctuary?" She asked as she sat up in her bed.

"Nazir was running errands and came across your cart in the road. He got another carriage and had you brought here. What happened out there?"

"We were attacked by a woman claiming to be a goddess." She answered flatly.

"The Draugr Matron?"

"You've heard of her?" She asked arching an eyebrow.

"Oh yes. During my alchemic studies, I came across references of her in old texts. She was very revered in her time. Her priests, however, were a greedy and corrupt lot. They used a twisted version of her original rhetoric to control most of Skyrim."

"So she is real, then?"

"Very much so." Babette answered with a nod. "It has been told that she will shed her statuesque shroud and walk among the living one day. When she arrives, it will be to cast judgement on the corrupt and reclaim her flock. She aims to reshape the world into her divine and pure image. If she has returned, we won't have long until we are judged. We can't hide much longer."

"Why hide? Revenge is not sought against the innocent. If anything, you're helping her cause."

"Ha." Babette smiled, but it failed to reach her eyes. As the smile faded, Lilelle could see the wisdom behind her incredibly long life. For a moment, all that experience and knowledge bled through her small cherub face. "I highly doubt the Matron will see it that way, especially for an abomination such as me."

"I'm going to put a stop to this, Babette. I will find a way, I promise."

"I know you will, dear." She said, patting Lilelle's hand. "Cosnach and the others are waiting for you. Nazir is arranging passage to the embassy now. It shouldn't be much longer."

"Is Shadowmere at the Sanctuary?" Lilelle asked before the vampire girl could exit the room.

"Yes. She is stabled outside the private entrance." The girl cocked her head to the side questioningly. "Why do you ask?"

"No reason. I haven't tended to her in so long. Thought I'd visit her before I left." She answered with a shrug.

"Indeed. I'm sure she would love a quick trot." Babette said with a knowing smile.

Lilelle watched the child-sized figure slip out of the room, shutting the door behind her. She looked down and breathed a sigh of relief that she was still strapped into her black and red Brotherhood armor. She slipped the hood over her head and stuffed her thick black hair behind her long ears. She looked around her large room, spotting her bow and quiver on a giant oaken dresser.

With a heavy heart, she slung both over her shoulder and slipped out of the room through the back passage. She knew that she would upset her husband, but she wanted to do this on her own. The others wouldn't understand, this whole situation was more than it seemed. She didn't want a war to break out from misunderstanding. If all went well, she knew they would understand in time.

Shadowmere grunted when Lilelle moved closer to the stable door. This was new she thought to herself as she surveyed the building. The Brotherhood had built a small barn over top the once secret entrance to house the small number of horses. There were three other strong looking mounts standing quietly in their stalls, they payed the woman no mind as she passed by them.

The large black mare, however, watched her intently with its fire red gaze. She tapped her hoof in excitement as Lilelle opened the gate.

"Why hello there, beautiful. I've missed you." Lilelle cooed as she stroked the horse along its neck. Shadowmere pushed her big nose into the woman, nuzzling into her chest.

She tended to the creature as best she could in the short time they had. She brushed her mane and fur before choosing a saddle off the rack. Once they were both ready to leave, Lilelle walked the animal outside.

"Hello there. Can I help you?" An old woman perched on a squat bench asked her as she stepped into the morning light.

"Oh, I'm here to gather my horse." She answered, a little startled.

"My it is a hot one today."

"Sure is. I'll be taking my leave now. Have a nice day."

"Hello there. Can I help you?"

Lilelle turned back around to face the woman. Something was wrong here. As she studied the figure, the woman seemed to shimmer in the sunlight. She couldn't make sense of what was in front of her.

"Hello there." The old woman repeated.

"Who are you?" Asked Lilelle.

"Can I help you?"

The dragonborn reached out to touch the woman before her. She gasped when her hand passed right through as if she was looking at a spirit.

"We haven't worked out the kinks yet." A familiar voice answered her unspoken question.

"What is this sorcery, Nazir? I've never seen the likes of it before."

"Babette came up with it a few months back. It's a very clever ruse but it has its obvious drawbacks."

"How?" Was all she could manage to ask.

"I'm not sure. She brews up a special potion and creates a candle. Once the wax hardens and is lit, Ms. Featherbottom comes out. Babette is still tinkering with it so the illusion is a little more...realistic."

"Ms. Featherbottom?" Lilelle asked raising an eyebrow.

"Cicero's doing. He chose the name and Babette loved it. Probably because it irritates me. Those two are a handful."

"I can't imagine babysitting lunatics is an easy job, but you handle it well enough."

"Ha. Who knew that one day I would play nanny to a gang of muderers? Oh the things we do for those we love." Nazir smiled but it faded quickly. "Lilelle, do you know anything about this Draugr Matron? It's all Babette has been able to talk about since the rumors started."

"Oh yes. I am sure we ran into her on the road where you found us."

"So, that's what happened to your merry band? That news is ... unsettling. Unfortunate too, things were just starting to look up for us."

"I heard the Guild was doing well. You've been receiving my letters?"

"Of course. Cicero is not happy that you choose to send the bounties by messenger but he will get over it."

"Nazir, small talk aside, I think you should get the Brotherhood out of Skyrim. At least until I can handle this problem. I'm on my way now."

"Sneaking away as always so as not to endanger loved ones. You haven't changed a bit, Listener." He took her hand in both of his and bowed his head. "No. We will be here in case you have need of us. You don't run from family."

"Thank you, Nazir." She could barely get out the words through the tears welling in her eyes.

"Go now. You can't save the world by standing still."