Respite and Worry

Curie spent the next few days tending to Scribe Haylen. She had woken a few times but had been in a fog from the drugs. The scavengers never did find any blood packs, so Curie had to resort to dosing the poor woman with Jet so she would rest. Curie was not fond of the idea of using such a drug but the Commonwealth lacked any real sedative. It was all they had. The clinic doctor assured Curie that the woman would be fine. He had prepared a batch of Addictol to give the woman once she was well enough, to prevent any permanent damage.

The Sole Survivor had been a ghost since Knight Rhys, Paladin Rhys, had arrived at Castle. They all had practically locked themselves in the war room, along with Preston, Danse, and Ronnie, to prepare for their final assault on the Brotherhood of Steel. She had to settle for seeing her love for a few short moments at night, when she would have to drag him to get some rest.

She sat now on the ramparts of Castle, enjoying a small moment of peace. There was always something that needed done. She had just finished mixing up some more chems for the clinic to sell. Soon Castle would open its doors to passing travelers and traders, needing a place to fill up on supplies or a night of rest.

Castle, during the day, almost resembled a small bustling town. People from all over the Commonwealth would fill the courtyard to trade goods. They would have their fill of booze and cooked meats at the small tavern they had built up in Castle's old mess hall. Curie usually spent her days helping the many stands with odd jobs that needed doing.

While Castle was a busy place, they had to keep it a secret that the Minutemen were in full control of it. If word got to the Brotherhood that it was their stronghold, all would be lost. John had fixed that problem though. After Goodneighbor had been destroyed by a bandit raid, the Sole Survivor had asked his long time friend Hancock to take over the day to day operations of Castle.

Hancock was very good at his job. He had made sure none of the Minutemen came in to Castle in uniform. He handled small squabbles between traders and shop owners with ease. He kept riff-raff out of the pub with help from a small security force he had set up. Caps were coming in by the bucket full to help fund the war efforts, all without so much as a whisper of the Minutemen.

Castle was open to all. They saw all kinds of people from different walks of life. A steady stream of people, synths, ghouls, and even survivors from the Institute itself had passed through its grand threshold. Whenever Curie made her way to the ramparts to watch the controlled chaos of the courtyard, she felt hope.

It made her more determined than ever to end this war. It gave her a feeling of pride, to see that people had a safe place to try and scrape out some kind of life worth living in the Wasteland. She knew they would succeed. They had to. A small voice pulled her from her thoughts.

"Mother, the doctor at the clinic sent me to come find you. He says Haylen is fully conscious and asking for father. When the doctor couldn't locate him, he sent me to get you." Shaun said.

Curie nodded and told the boy she was on her way. She would find John and bring him along with her to see how the Scribe was doing. With his mission complete the boy ran off muttering something about Dogmeat.

She made her way down the stairs off the castle wall and headed towards the war room. She was shocked to find it completely empty. She thought maybe they had taken a short break in the pub to get some food.

When she entered the small bar she saw no sign of John anywhere. She did catch sight of Hancock near the back watching the customers carefully as they purchased their cooked meals. She made her way over to him and grabbed his attention.

"Hancock, have you seen John anywhere?"

"Not since this morning. He was coming out of the armory. Said they were building something for that big plan of his. He had me round up the Scavengers and send them in before I opened the courtyard."