These Honorable Men

They had practically ran back to Jamaica Plain. John had wanted to get back as soon as possible to finish up preparations for "Red Glare". Curie knew that her love was beyond happy after reuniting with a friend once lost. It wasn't every day someone came back from the dead, and she was still very much in shock.

On the walk home Valentine had told them all about how he had gotten into this situation. He relayed a grand tale about a missing daughter.

He had went looking for the woman on an island named Far Harbor. The case had quickly turned into a complicated mess. A far stretch from a simple missing persons case. Curie wondered how much was actually true, it all sounded a little crazy. He had infiltrated a secret synth compound and found the girl.

Once inside however, he realized there was a nuclear war brewing between three main factions. He had single handedly negotiated peace talks within the groups, secured the girl, and saved the day.

When the Sole Survivor asked how Valentine had died, he explained that it was by the Brotherhood of Steel's hand. A small recon team had been alerted of the synth compound and had been dispatched to investigate. Valentine was already back in the Commonwealth, heading back to one of the safe houses to contact Ellie.

The Brotherhood of Steel had not known who he was exactly, just that he was a synth and needed to be put down. Nick had tried to fight back, but had been out manned five to one. He had barely been able to get one shot off before his whole system went offline. Next thing he knew, Valentine was awake once more and strapped to John's wrist like a fancy watch.

Even with all the grumbling Nick Valentine was more than grateful for his life. John and him would 'work out the kinks' and settle in to their new situation. By the time they laid eyes on the stoic guard posts of Jamaica Plain, they were all ready talking as if nothing had changed. Curie's heart smiled at the sight of it.

"Where's Nick?" Ellie asked as she rushed from the clinic to greet them.

"Right here, Ellie. I'm good as new, almost." Valentine responded as his robotic eye moved to take her in.

"I'm so glad you're alright." She said without any hesitation. The state of her long time friend seemed to not shake the woman one bit. The look in her eyes told Curie that the woman couldn't care less how he looked, just that he had simply returned to her.

"Yeah, yeah. Alright wouldn't be the word I would use but I'm here. So, are we gonna kick start this whole thing, or what?"

"Ellie, have the others returned yet?" John asked.

The secretary nodded and told them where the others were. The little group followed the woman back up to the clinic. The room grew very silent once the Sole Survivor entered. John could see they had questions, questions about Valentine, but they were out of time. The pieces were all here, ready to be put into motion.

He studied them all for a moment. The men and women in this room meant the world to him. He would make sure that they would get the lives they deserved, even at the cost of his own. They had all sacrificed for him and he would repay his debts. They would be under the heel of tyrants no longer.

"I know there are questions, but mine need answered first. Piper, have you warned the people of Diamond City?"

"Yeah, Blue. They are ready to move as soon as we give the signal."

"Good. Rhys, did you and Haylen get what we needed from Castle?"

"Yes, sir. We have the armor." Rhys answered.

"John, we also tracked down that patrol as requested." Haylen added.

"Good. Rhys, take Haylen, Preston, Danse, and Hancock with you to aquire the vertibird. Once you get it into position, radio in so we can move forward."

"General, we will get it done." Danse answered.

"Once the bird is in place and the civilians are out of the city, everything will move very fast. It is important that you all understand what your orders are. One hiccup and this whole thing can go to shit." John spoke to the nodding faces of those before him.

"This. This is it. In just a few days all this will be over. Elder Maxon will see his tyranny ended. Our actions will see his supplies cut off, his communications ceased, and any reinforcements out of reach. We can do this for us, for the people of the Commonwealth, for those we lost.

"This war has cost each and every one of us and we will stand for it no longer. We banded together to stop the Institute from their oppression and we will stop the Brotherhood of Steel. If someone moves to take their place, the Minutemen will be there.

"We will never sit idly by while good men and women have their freedoms taken, their homes taken, their lives taken. We will always be armed and ready to take up our guns and fight for those who can't. We protect those good people, who want only peace and a normal life.

"We have lost, and what we have lost cannot be brought back. We can, however, rebuild. Rebuild our lives. Rebuild our homes. Rebuild our bonds with those we love. We will have our work cut out for us. What comes after the next few days, will be harder than the war we are fighting.

"There will be no rest for us. We will need to remain vigilant in order to build our lives. There will be time to mourn all those we will miss in our futures. Those people will see justice for the crimes committed against them.

"My friends, my family, stay strong in these last hours. I thank you all for your service. I couldn't have asked for better men and women in my life. I cannot promise we will all see each other again after we leave this room, but I can promise you my best. So again, I thank you. We will win. We will bring peace and we will hold it. I'll make damn sure of that as long as my heart beats. Damn sure."

If Curie could cry, she would have at that moment. She scanned the faces of those before her and they too suffered the same. Each wanted to cry, but forced it deep down and away so they could have the strength to complete their missions. The small nods from those before them, and the tears shelved in their eyes, told Curie that they had no other choice but to win. Failure was not a word these men and women knew. This was almost over. John spoke into the silence once more, drawing Curie's attention.

"Alright Minutemen, you have your orders. Move out."