These Small Moments

"Tell it again." Cosnach pleaded, his words slurred.

"Oh please don't make me say it again. I've told it too many times already." Lilelle whined, just as deep into the ale as her husband.

"Yeah but Vilkas hasn't heard it yet." He said throwing his arm around the dark haired Nord.

"I'm Farkas." He said flatly. Cosnach squinted at the man and nodded. With how long his wife and him had been posted up at the Bannered Mare, he could no longer tell the twin warriors apart.

"So you are. I should have recognized the sulking in your voice. My deepest apologies." He said flourishing his arms and dropping into a bow. "Please, allow me to buy you a drink while my gorgeous wife regales you with a grand tale."

"I think it is time for bed, my love." Lilelle said as she gently pulled his arm to follow her to the exit.

"I heard about you taking down that mage near the town gates." Farkas spoke up as Hulda handed him his free tankard of ale. "The guards say it was a damn fine shot, that you weren't even in the city walls when you made it."

"That is true. I was up high on the tower, near the bridge."

"Damn fine shot." He mumbled into his cup.

"Yes! My wife the hero! Mikael, play that song you wrote again." Cosnach shouted across the room. The bard nodded and began tuning his lute for the request.

"Cosnach, it is time for bed." Lilelle whispered in his ear. Her cheeks flushing at all the attention, she wanted to be out of there before the patrons got too rowdy. Her dear husband had begun working them into a frenzy.

"Alright, alright. You've shut me up for today. I can't help it, I'm just so damn proud that you're my wife. I'm ready to shout from the rooftops, tell the world of your fantastic deeds."

"That is not necessary. Why don't you show me how happy you are, at Breezehome." She said as she raised an eyebrow playfully. Catching the not so subtle hint, Cosnach's smile stretched across his face. He threw Lilelle over his shoulder and made his way to the door. Giggling, Lilelle said her goodbyes as she was carried out through the front doors.

"Please Cosnach, put me down." She tried to say between laughter.

He placed her feet on the ground a little too quickly, causing her to lose her balance. He grabbed her wrist so she wouldn't fall, putting his other arm around her waist to steady her. He looked deep into her blood red eyes as his smile faded. She stood there awkwardly as she began to fidget under his gaze.

"What is it my love?" She asked. The whole world seemed to silence, ready to hear his words. He took her grey cheeks in his hands, and pulled her head close. Lilelle wrapped her arms around him as he kissed her forehead. He entangled his fingers in her dark hair as he moved his other hand around her shoulders.

"I love you." He spoke, his body trembling slightly in their embrace. "Through all the danger and all the trouble we've gotten into, I never worried about losing you. When I saw you in that bed..I worried..I thought.."

"Shh." She said pulling away slightly to kiss him. "I'll always come back to you."

He nodded, not trusting his voice at the moment. His face scrunched in confusion as he looked behind her. Lilelle turned around to see a courier watching their private moment intently. When he realized they were now staring at him, he jumped suddenly.

"Oh, sorry. Um. I have a letter for you."

"A letter for who? There are two of us." Cosnach snapped, irritated with the intrusion.

"It says dragonborn." He answered pointing to the front of the envelope. The squirrely man handed it over to Lilelle and rushed off without a tip. The pair looked at each other for a moment before she cracked open the seal and read the letter inside.

"Well, what's it say?" Cosnach asked, curious.

"It seems a young boy named Shaun is in need of some help." She answered as she continued reading. "The boy's mother is sick and has now run off. He's worried for her safety and the safety of others. It appears she's quite dangerous. His father couldn't do anything to help her either."

"What do they need your help for? Can't a mage do it?"

"Oh come now, Cosnach. How many times have we stopped in our adventures to help an innocent passers-by with some miniscule task?"

"A lot. My hands still get sore everytime I see a potato or head of cabbage. That's not the point, though. We have bigger problems now. We need to find the Undead King remember?"

"I am well aware, my love. Did I forget to mention that this Shaun's father is in fact the Undead King?"

"Wait. What? Yes, you've seem to have left that part out." He said as he snatched the letter. "Shit. You're right. Why would our enemy be asking us for help?"

"That's the easy question. They have no idea we are enemies, dear. The bigger question is what the hell do the necromancers have to do with these people if they really think they are innocent?"

"Should I go fetch Lydia?"

"Yes. I think we'll need more than her. We should put word out to the other housecarls from here to Solitude. We will need a small army when we reach the embassy if things go sideways."

"Done. Should I have the stablemaster prepare the cart?"

"No, we'll take the carriage to Solitude. Pay him extra to make the necessary stops. We leave at first light."

"Alright. Anything else?"

"Yes. One more thing." She raised her eyebrow seductively, dropping her tone into a breathy whisper as she leaned close. "I'll need some help strapping in to my Brotherhood leathers if you would be so kind."

"Oh I think I can manage that." He smiled, giving her a cheeky wink.