The Lone Wanderer

Surprisingly, it had not taken the Sole Survivor long to reach the sturdy walls of Diamond City. He hadn't been this close in years. He had kept his distance ever since the Brotherhood of Steel had taken up residence inside the stadium.

The former mayor of Diamond City had been found out to be a synth all along. Piper could still be found with a smug smile for being right the whole time. None in the city would listen to her, but they wouldn't make that mistake again. The Brotherhood may occupy and rule over the citizens of Diamond City, but it was Piper who had the control. He knew she would get what he needed done, get those people to safety.

He wanted as many citizens as possible out when it came time to green light 'Rocket's Red Glare'. He wouldn't be able to protect them otherwise. He planned to level that city and he had hopes, that if everything went according to plan, there would be no casulaties. He knew it was an unrealistic pipe dream, but dammit he had to try.

He felt bad about leaving Piper at Hangman's Alley without telling her. He knew she would try to tag along. He just needed to get this leg of the mission done alone, quickly. He could see where he needed to be as he poked his head around the corner of a crumbling building.

The Supply Depot had been built into an old concessions stand in the stadium. As he looked on it now, the intel he had received from his provisioners had failed to do it justice.

There seemed to be only one direct entrance into the depot itself. Behind the counter he could see a door, the only door. He had no idea how he would get through or what he would have to go through to get to the otherside. He could see from here that he would need to get inside the city to get behind the counter at all. He would need another way.

Looking at the counter itself, seemed just as hopeless. It had been heavily fortified with thick steel grating, mirroring the depot on the Prydwen entirely. He would not be able to sneak in the front either, especially with his old brother in arms, Procter Teagan, standing vigil at his eternal post.

He would have to find another way in. He took some time to watch. He saw a steady stream of soldiers file up to the heavy metal grate, exchange short conversations, and march off with their newly aquired gear. After an hour or so, he was just about ready to ditch the plan altogether.

The Sole Survivor climbed down from his brick roost, ready to slink away into the night and return to Hangman's Alley. Just as he turned around the corner and away from the city, he slammed hard into a shadowed form.

Disoriented and a little frightened, unsure of what horror he had just spooked, John clicked on his Stealth Boy. Invisible, he ducked down and back away from the silhouette. It was a man, as far as he could tell. It was hard to decipher anything in the dark, he waited quietly as the stranger stood up to check his surroundings.

"Hey, whose there?" The man shouted into the night, his voice trembling.

"You better show yourself, I'm armed. Don't come any closer."

John heard the familiar click of a laser rifle being drawn from its large holster. A small circle of red light flooded over the stranger's torso, illuminating his face and chest. That's when he saw it, he didn't think he could be this lucky. Painted on to the man's combat chest plate was the unmistakable insignia for the Brotherhood of Steel. He wouldn't need to worry about that supply depot after all.

With his Stealth Boy still active, the Sole Survivor slid behind the soldier. He followed him a short distance as the man searched for his assailant. John waited patiently for the right moment to strike. He crept slowly, raising his arm clutching his baton. With a thunk to the back of the head, the soldier was out. He crumpled on to the ground in a clanking heap, as the man's fortified combat armor jangled together.

The Sole Survivor handcuffed the man quickly, unsure of exactly how long he would remain unconscious. He thought about exactly how he was to get the man all the way back to Hangman's Alley. He couldn't risk the soldier being found before they could get Ellie out of lock up. He checked the man's pockets for something, anything that could be of help.

John breathed a sigh of relief when he fished out a small bottle of Buffout from the soldier's pocket. He seemed to have gained a few points in luck today, considering how well everything was going. He hoped it was a good omen for the mission to come and not the calm before the brewing storm.

John quickly checked his surroundings one last time, just as his Stealth Boy flickered out of juice. He tossed it off to the side before popping open the bottle of medicine. He took one of the giant yellow pills, swallowing hard to make sure it went down. The Sole Survivor could feel his blood surge and his eyes vibrate, as the drugs began to take hold. He hoisted the heavy soldier over his shoulder and ran off into the night, back to the alley, back to Piper.