Liberty Primed

The tunnels underneath Castle were as old as the building itself. They were once used as an escape route that led under the courtyard and up into the armory. After Castle had been turned from a base of operations to a secret Minutemen hub, John had ordered the doorway in the armory boarded up. He had then had a shorter tunnel built leading outside to a small dock.

The Sole Survivor had known that it was impractical to build boats for everyone who came into Castle. He had made the hard decision to have only one boat that could hold his inner circle. If all else failed in this war, he had wanted to be sure those he cared most about would have a chance. Those people were now running for their lives.

The group made their way through the system of tunnels until they finally reached their destination, the security room. Reinforced with steel walls and a power locking door, it was the heart of Castle. Sturges' crown jewel, he had really out done himself on this one.

Security cameras lined the walls of Castle now, paired in this room with monitors for keeping watch over the whole settlement. From this room, the General was able to control the entire building. Doors, lights, power, water, cameras, turrets, all of it from here alone. The programming itself had taken weeks to write.

Curie gasped in utter disbelief at the horror she saw on the screens. The guard had been right, they were all dead. Bodies lay scattered in pieces all over the once bustling courtyard. There seemed to be no prisoners to be taken this time. The shops and stands lay riddled with glowing holes, the only witnesses to the atrocities that had just unfolded.

She saw the large group of soldiers, dressed cleverly as traders, standing in the center of the courtyard. A large Paladin covered in armor was giving out orders. She just couldn't believe her eyes. It was really happening, they might have just lost everything. She saw a handful of the men execute the junkyard dogs, causing her to look away, completely unable to see the sight any longer.

Hancock's hand slammed down on a large red button, causing the whole group to jump. It was connected to the armory and would seal it up for good. John was not here to override the code.

"I won't be killed with my own damn weapons." He stated. "They haven't spread to the armory, and now they won't ever get the chance."

"So do we shut it all down and head to the boat?" Preston asked. They were all looking at Curie.

She couldn't imagine why they would turn to her. For years she had been merely tolerated by these people, and now they were looking to her to give them direction. She didn't want this responsibility one bit. She didn't want that kind of power resting on her shoulders. She knew someone had to give direction. It made her long for John, he would know exactly what to do. He wouldn't hesitate for a second to get these people out. She took a deep breath before answering.

"Yes." She answered. "Cut the power, and lock every door. That should hold them off for a while."

Before she could even finish her thought Ronnie had stepped up to the terminal, feverishly typing in the commands.

"Turn on the turrets as well. Every. Last. One." Curie spoke with cold finality. Ronnie looked into her eyes, checking to make sure she had heard right. A nod from Curie was all the woman needed. After a moment, she nodded that it was done.

Curie could hear the power click on that connected to the turrets. Silent horror began to unfold on the monitors in front of them. She saw all of the men in the courtyard start to fire wildly at the ramparts. It was too late. One by one by one the soldiers fell. She could almost hear them cry out, almost hear them fall to the ground. The sight was almost enough to shake her resolve. Those innocent men and women that had lost their lives, had been avenged. Their justice had been swift, and it had been violent.

"Alright, let's move out." Curie said, not needing to watch anymore. Not wanting to be in this place a moment longer. A tug from her shirt pulled her attention from the exit to Shaun's hopeful eyes.

"Mother, what about Dogmeat? He wasn't with the other dogs. Do you think he made it out?"

"Absolutely. He's a smart dog. He will find us, don't you worry."

If she could shed real tears at that moment, she would have. The boy was clearly struggling with all the new information. Watching him trying to process these new emotions was heartwrenching. They never felt like the normal data a synth needed to interpret. Emotion felt strange, foriegn, like a virus running through the system threatening to shut it all down. The brain felt hacked almost, trying desperately to fight this hostile entity threatening to change who it was. It was a battle inside that few hoped to win. The only way to fight those feelings was to simply embrace them, pull them over like a blanket of pain and misery. Truly accepting the anguish inside was the only way to see the sunlight at the end of the tunnel. She would help him find the exit together.

"Yes. You're right." He replied hopeful.

"That mutt is probably half way to the General by now." Preston chimed in.

After regrouping, the small band was ready to move out again. They headed toward the exit and finished their trek through the tunnels. Finally they saw sunlight. Coming up the stairs and pushing the cellar door up, Curie smiled at the sight of the boat bobbing in the dock.

John and Preston had found the boat off shore a few months ago. It had not worked but it could float. John had donned his suit of power armor and pulled it to Castle, walking along the sea bottom. Dragging the boat behind him with a rope, he had emerged from the water like a modern day messiah, dripping wet and gleaming in the sunlight. Curie had been impressed by the feat, she had certainly not expected his air tank to hold out as long as it had.

Sturges of course got the old gal sea worthy once more, finding old engine parts that the scavengers had brought in. John had named the boat 'Liberty Primed'. It had been a slight to the eye sore sitting useless in the Boston Airport, but it also held a deeper meaning to the group.

It stood for true liberty and freedom. It was a life boat that would help them escape oppression, should it come knocking. Always at the ready to save it's free men and women from the shadows of tyranny. It would have its moment now. The inhabitants of Castle had lost everything. They needed this boat now more than ever.

The small group climbed aboard, ready to leave this place. Castle would sit vacant once more. It almost seemed fated to forever be out of the hands of the Minutemen. Sturges fired up the engine and pulled out of the dock. Curie hoped they built it far enough away that they wouldn't be heard making their escape.

"So, where are we driving this girl?" He shouted over his shoulder.

"As close to Diamond City that the water will allow us. We must find John."