Memories Through Time

She saw his face as she slept. She never wanted to forget it. His beautiful smile, his joyous laugh, the love in his eyes. She remembered him as he was, as he should be, will be again. She kept that image of him there, at the forefront of her thoughts as she slept the years away.

Time travel was always a wondrous possibility for her and her scientific fantasies. A thought every person such as her has dreamed about one time or another. While those fantastical whimsies danced in her head, she had found the only true blue way to move foward in time. To just wait.

Curie couldn't speed up the future or change the past, but she could wait until her time came. Wait for the world she needed to be built up around her. Hold out for the men and women of science that could see her through to the end. She knew the very idea was ludicrous, but what other choice did she have?

Flashes through time flooded her throughout her slumber. At one time she had thought she could hear voices speaking a foriegn language. She had thought of trying to make contact but they had failed to open the doors to their prison. She slept onward.

Over the hundreds of years she slipped into a deeper hibernation. Her clothes had rotted away, her primary functions had turned off. She had turned into a hollow shell, her systems only keeping her skin on her synthetic bones.

Through time she waited, slowly forgetting what she was waiting for. The image of John long gone. As she sat there, still, she clutched Shaun to herself in a mother's embrace as they waited an eternity.

Pieces of the present cracked in. She had felt herself lifted, carried away with care. She had heard strange voices chant around her. She had been given a new name with new meaning. She had been worshipped.

A golden age in a dark hole as ceremonies were carried out in front of her in the hopes that she would bless them. She learned their language slowly as the memories seeped into her dreams. She slowly forgot about Boston and the war. Her mission in life gone, replaced by this new purpose thrust upon her.

Still she slept. She gave no blessings, revealed her powers to none. The zealots grew quiet around her one by one. They followed her into the dark stillness of traveling throughout time. Constant protectors of her new kingdom, should any fool try to rob her tomb.

Curie was gone. Shaun was gone. John was gone. All that remained was a sleeping statue. A mother and her son. A goddess and her believers. A crypt and her vigilant guardians. This was all she cared to know.