The Journey Lost

"Hey, you can't make this thing go any faster?" Cosnach asked nudging the driver of the carriage. "It's too damn hot to be sitting in the sun this long."

He was right, Lilelle thought, it was too hot. It seemed unseasonably warm in the usually frigid countryside of Skyrim. Fall should be settling in by now but the summer sun tormented them throughout their journey. They had been traveling toward the Thalmor Embassy for a few days now and hoped to reach their destination by the next morning.

They had aquired a small band of housecarls and mercenaries to have at their disposal should the meeting with his lordship go wrong. Lilelle didn't think it would though. She was sure that the Undead King, or King John as he was referenced in the letter, had any idea of the tension between them. The boy, Shaun, wrote as if he had recently heard of her and her deeds. She didn't think the pair were even aware of the fear they were causing in the cities.

She felt for the boy, his plea for help seemed genuine. If they really were in some kind of trouble, she hoped she would be able to help sort it out. Cosnach, on the other hand, was upset about the whole thing. He was not one to find enjoyment in mystery or intrigue. He made his opinions known loudly that he didn't care for this pleasant meeting nor did he trust anything said in the letter. He was convinced it was all a trap.

Lilelle hoped he was wrong but she was no fool herself, either. She had come prepared for a war should the tides turn that way but she also came prepared to help. She sat on top of an entire chest full of provisions. Potions, poultices, books, scrolls and even some magic trinkets filled the box. She hoped it would be enough.

"Son of a b-" Cosnach was cut off as the horse skidded to a stop. The jolt pulled Lilelle from her thoughts as she looked toward the road.

A woman stood in their path, her hands fisted at her sides. She stared them down, unmoving and silent. Her white gown muddied from the road didn't detract from her almost divine beauty in the slightest. Her face carried an air of high authority as her delicate features studied the group. Cosnach stood to get down from the carriage in hopes to move the woman but Lilelle put her hand on his, stopping him.

"What is it? We have to get her out of the way. The horse won't make it around her."

"Something seems wrong about this." Lydia whispered. Lilelle nodded her agreement.

"Yes. I think we should remain in the cart. She is clearly not a villager. She is most certainly something else. If we try to move her she might think it a move against her."

"If she's not a villager than who is she? You think it's a wraith of some kind? Dammit, I hate ghosts."

"No my love, this woman is something else entirely. Please, just sit down."

He mumbled a protest under his breath but did as he was asked. The group watched the woman who watched them. Lilelle was unsure how long they sat there but it seemed an eternity in the hot sun. The stranger raised her arm and pointed at the driver of the carriage.

"Him. He comes with me. The rest of you may pass." Her voiced boomed into the silent countryside sending a chill down Lilelle's spine. She could have swore she had heard the strange accent before, but she just couldn't place where. The memory of their meeting was fuzzy, but she was sure she had met this woman before.

"Wait. What? Why me? My lady, you won't let her take me please?" The driver begged as the strange woman made her way to him. Lilelle jumped down from the cart and stepped in front of her.

"I'm sorry but you can't have him." She spoke sternly. The woman before her stopped, but she did not look at the dragonborn. She kept her eyes locked on the man huddling in the carriage.

"He has committed crimes against humanity. He has been judged by me. You will move yourself from my path, now."

"And who are you to judge the lives of others?" Lilelle asked as she slowly rested her hand on the hilt of her dagger.

"I am the mother of all, you silly child! I alone have the right to judge those I have created. I will not have my will questioned by anyone. Now, move!"

It was no longer a request. The Matron swept her arm out, shoving Lilelle to the side. The force of the blow knocked her clear off the road, sending her tumbling into the bushes. Cosnach didn't hesitate, in a blink he had hurled his ebony war axe at the woman. She watched as it tumbled toward her, without an ounce of fear in her eyes, she reached out and caught the weapon by its handle.

The Matron tilted the axe on its side, the blade facing out. She spun around to gain momentum, releasing the axe toward the wooden cart. It smashed into the side, causing it to splinter and crack, throwing it's inhabitants from inside. The horses could take no more. They reared up, screaming toward the sky. The two mares bucked widly, freeing themselves from their yokes and bolted off into the countryside.

An arrow whipped past the woman as she stepped back from its path. She turned to see Lilelle perched in a pine, as she nocked a second bolt. The Matron ignored the dragonborn as she continued her path toward the carriage driver laying in the dirt, his hands covering his head.

Cosnach kept an eye on the powerful creature as he made a dash for his axe still lodged in the remains of the cart. Unconcious bodies lay strewn about the grass as Lydia drew her sword and took position over the frightened man. As the woman got closer to her captive, Lydia raised her sword in aggression.

The Matron grabbed the blade with immeasurable strength as the housecarl swung to deliver a deadly blow. She fought to keep hold of the hilt as it was wrenched from her grasp and tossed to the side. The woman tilted her head to the sky as Cosnach made his mad dash toward the Matron.

Lilelle fired shot after shot, her efforts futile. Not one arrow had found its mark. She watched in horror as the woman, head thrown back, screamed into the sky. Her head throbbed as her vision began to tunnel. She lost her footing in the tree as she reached up to try and comfort her head. The loud shriek vibrated inside her thoughts. The world around her seemed to rip apart as she fell to the ground in a loud thud. She saw Lydia topple over as the light flickered on and off in her sight.

Cosnach was the last to fall. He seemed to feel no pain as he fought against the magic. He struggled to put one foot in front of the other as he swung his axe wildly, roaring in defiance at the goddess. Finally, just mere paces away, he lost his strength as he screamed in agony. He crumpled onto the stone road, the sound of his cries haunting Lilelle as she slipped into the dark cold river of unconsciousness.