More than... Rivals?? (Edogawa Ranpo)

Requested by Schlafx!! Enjoy Ranpo san~

"Ranpo!" you grumbled angrily as you stomped your way to a certain man with a hat who had his feet up on the desk, reading the daily comic from a newspaper, while eating a bag of chips.

"You've got to stop being a lazy ass and get to work, dummy!" you scolded, taking the newspaper off his hands.

"Now, now, (F/N) chan. Ranpo san is always like this at work, so there's nothing to be angry about." Dazai came in, calming you down. But for some reason, watching Ranpo enjoying the bag of chips at work made you annoyed to the core. You recently joined the Armed Detective Company, looking for a new job. You used to be a high ranked police officer, often pulled in by the detectives to solve difficult cases because just like Ranpo, you were smart, but you weren't an ungifted citizen either.

"Is it really ok to let him lounge like this in the office?! Ranpo doesn't need this job!" you continued to complain while Ranpo was still munching on his potato chips.

"For the love of everything, stop yelling. I'm sure you're aware that we need Ranpo san in the Armed Detective Company, right?" Kunikida stood up from his chair, glaring at you.

You rolled your eyes. "I know that, but you guys have me, right?! I mean, I'm obviously smarter than Ranpo."

There was a sudden silence that filled the room completely and all eyes were glued to you. You squirmed a little in place, feeling a bit uncomfortable as you felt the tension in the room rise.

"She did not just say that." Atsushi whispered over to Tanizaki as he nods in response.

"Did I say something wrong?"

"So you think you're smarter than me, (F/N) chan?" a booming voice from behind made you jump as you spun around to see Ranpo standing up from his comfy chair.

"W-Well, yeah! Yeah I do." you puffed your chest out, like you were trying to pick a fight with him.

"You sure have a boat load of guts to say that, (F/N) chan..." Ranpo's eyes slowly opened, startling you a bit.

"Um, guys? I think we should all settle-" Dazai tried his best to put on a reassuring face until Ranpo interfered.

Ranpo pointed at your face. "I challenge you to a battle, (F/N) chan! If you think you're smarter than me, then I'll give you the hardest, most difficult case that no one could even solve in years!"

"Fine then. I'll stand up to what I believe in and I accept your challenge!" you shouted back.

"Oh, boy..." Kunikida grumbled something as he shook his head and went back to his work.

"Guys." Dazai came in between you two, with his arms extended out. "Please, do not do this in the Agency. We're all nice and friendly here, so let's not have a battle."

"Why don't we have like a citizenship test?" Atsushi chimed in.

"A citizenship test?"

"A test for a citizen. You know, like a test for how to cross the road or buy tickets to ride the train." Tanizaki said.

"What the hell is that kind of thing? They have those?" you look at him with disbelief.

"What?! That's not fair! Obviously (F/N) chan is going to win because I don't even know how to buy a ticket for the train!!" Ranpo wailed.

"Exactly! So that means (F/N) chan is smarter!" Atsushi pointed out. The room was instantly filled with silence once more and you heard a low grumbling sound from Ranpo.