Not Good Enough (Akutagawa Ryuunosuke)

Akutagawa x Reader was requested by Gemstani! Enjoy~

You were trying to get his attention. You wanted him to notice you that you were in love with him. But you couldn't because one, you were a little shy on confessing your feelings to him and two, you didn't want to get rejected. Plus, he's really cold and distant so all you two talk about is always about mission or work related. You've been at it for so long that people in the workplace started to notice your feelings for him and also your trial and error for Akutagawa noticing you.

And today was your special day- it was your birthday. Everyone knew your birth date including Akutagawa. You've received wonderful presents from Higuchi to the boss to Chuuya as well since you two have gotten really close. But you didn't get any gifts from Akutagawa yet.

"Um, Akutagawa san?" you chirped, standing in front of his desk.

"What is it?"

You opened your mouth to say something but you bit your lip. You wanted to say it was your birthday but you didn't want to seem like a needy person for presents so you stayed quiet. Although you wanted him to say at least happy birthday to you. All the people in the office were working quietly and at the same time, listening to the conversation between you and Akutagawa.

You shook your head and tried to give a bright smile. "Nothing... I just wanted to know how your day went!"

"Tch. If you wanted to ask a dumb question like that then I suggest you leave. You're wasting my time."

Then you thought of something great you can do with him. You blushed slightly as you made your request. "Would you like to go somewhere to eat tonight?"

Akutagawa looked up from his papers to you. "Huh? Why?"

"Because today is my special day. It's my birthday!" you tried to sound all cheery but it didn't work on him.

"Why do you want to go with me? Wouldn't you want to go with a person like Chuuya san?" he replied with his venom filled tone.

You laughed nervously. "I guess you don't want to come with me afterall?"

"You're exactly right. If you knew the answer from the start why even bother asking the question?" his voice was starting to rise and you knew you angered him.

"S-Sorry for disturbing you... I'll leave..." you bowed slightly, walking out the office feeling your head in the clouds. You sighed loudly, clutching your heart. Why couldn't you say those words to him?

"Oi, Akutagawa... That wasn't the best way to turn her down." Chuuya chimed in as he got out from his chair and walked over to him. Chuuya put both of his hands on his desk, looking pretty serious.

"Do you have a problem, Chuuya san? She's clearly a pest, always asking me to attend her ridiculous outings." Akutagawa gathered the stack of papers together, grumbling.

"Ok... I never knew you were this dense... Have you not realized?"

"Realized what?"

Chuuya let out a sigh. "Well, I wasn't surprised anyway..."

"You mean (F/N), right?"

Chuuya's eyes lit up as he nodded. "Yes! Her and her birthday today! She wanted you to do something special for her."

"If (F/N) can't work properly and is blinded by romance, I'll hire another assistant." his tone was sharp and stern as if he was ending this conversation.

You were making your last minute changes to your report on your computer during the afternoon. You glanced at the clock. Your special day was almost coming to an end and still nothing from Akutagawa. A sigh escaped your lips until a slight raspy voice echoed through the room.