Sweet Encounter (Edogawa Ranpo)

Ranpo x Reader was humbly requested by useless-panda!

Please enjoy~

Another day hitting the books. You were always surrounded by them where ever you go. It could be electronic books, audio books, or reading a small pamphlet about a new store that was newly refurbished. People around you called you a 'bookworm' but it was in a good way. They would never tease you about it because you were an intellectual person.

And that's when you decided to work at the library.

So then it began your story of stacking books all day, making sure they were in alphabetical order, cleaning up the children's corner, returning reader's books or renewing them...

It was a never ending cycle.

A lot of people would argue that this kind of a job is so tedious and boring. But for you, it was the best thing in the world.

"Argh! After we find the right book, you guys are taking me out to lunch today!" a piercing cry reverberated from the entrance as you peeked out through one of the aisles. There were four new civilians you've never seen before. Working here everyday, you always see a few recognizable faces and a ton of people who come here everyday that they even sit down to have a chat with you. Gently placing a book back on the shelves, you rushed over to them.

"Um, hello. Is there anything you are searching for?" you asked shyly. The tall brunette immediately answered.

"Ah, yes! Glad you asked." he suddenly knelled down before you as he caressed your hands. You flushed instantly. "Would you care telling me where the latest 'How to Commit Suicide' books?" he stood up to meet your gaze. "It's a series~" he whispered.

You gulped. This man was certainly peculiar. "Uh, not that I would know of..."

"Oi, Dazai! We're not here to screw around." a somewhat bulky stature blonde man stood next to him with his arms crossed.

"Woah! These children books are colorful! There's even pop up books too!" a white haired boy awed in fascination as he was flipping through a children's book. You sweat dropped thinking that a teenage boy was reading a pop up book.

"I know right, Atsushi kun? Aren't they so pretty?" Dazai twirled around towards him as they read the book together.

"Kunikida~ Hurry up and find the book~" a loud whine echoed through the children's corner where a man with a brown cap was relaxing on the couches. The blonde man that towered you sighed in annoyance.

"Pardon me for the rudeness but would you mind looking for the book called, 'The Boy Who Cried Wolf'?" he asked.

You blinked. "It should be right around where they are." you pointed to the 3 of them who were searching for the book.

"You're wrong about that, miss." the man with the cap suddenly appeared right behind you, making you squeak in surprise.

"If you would please, Ranpo san." Kunikida requested as Ranpo sighed.

"Alright~ Just because none of you are smart enough to do this~"

"Um, what do you mean by that sir?"

"We're talking about an old ancient artifact that was based on the fable, 'The Boy Who Cried Wolf'. You see, we're all a part of the Armed Detective Agency and we're currently on a mission. The clues that was left with us were a map of Yokohama and a red marker circled where we are standing right now." Ranpo explained. He went on.

"There was a box that was left under the house of the murder scene last night. On the box there was the map tapped to it and the Greek writing of a famous writer. There were also written letters of T, B, W, C, and W hidden in the map which if you can figure out the Greek writing, it says Aesop which could only mean that he was a famous writer of the fable, 'The Boy Who Cried Wolf'." Ranpo puffed out his chest for emphasis- like he was trying to show off his smart aleck skills. And it worked.