The other side of the story

Two days.. It has been two days since I haven't eaten or drank anything.
I can listen to the footsteps in the halls, but inside the basement I'm all lonely. My only friends are the cold walls and the darkness.
My lips are sore, my skin dry and my body tired even though I haven't moved at all.
I'm pretty sure my face is terrifying. If I would look at myself in the mirror I would faint.

All of a sudden I hear someone unlocking the door. The door opens and in front of my eyes appears a man.
He was wearing a black suit and a trilby hat holding a cigarette in his hand.
"-I brought you water"-he says.

Since I haven't drank in two days I bring the glass to my lips and drink the water as fast as I could using all my remaining strength. (Something I would have never done before since is not very ladylike.)

"You look terrible"-he says.

"Well thank you. That is something I didn't knew considering the fact that since I came from New York I haven't had a shower, or ate anything."

"Listen lady I know what Domenico did to you wasn't good, but he is not as bad as he seems. Trust me I know him. He is just hurt and lonely. Maybe he wanted to make you feel what he has been feeling all these years."

"So this is his name: Domenico. But what has all this to do with me? Why did he kill my father. For money.? Power?"

The young man stays silent for a while like he is trying to decide whether to tell me or not and then speaks:"No signora, he didn't do it neither for money or power he already has those how do you think he took everything after your fathers death?"

Than he took a deep breath and continues:"His hatred towards your father started when his was just a child. Domenico's father used to work for your father. His wife, Domenico's mother was very sick and to cure her sickness costed a lot of money. Everybody was afraid to ask your father for money even though he might have given some, so Domenico's father stole them. Of curse it didn't took long enough for your father to realize that money was missing, but he didn't knew why Domenico's father took the money. He thought his money was stolen and that is treason and you know what happens when someone betrays your father.."

"He killed him"-I say.

"Yes. A few months later Domenico's mother died from the sickness leaving Domenico alone without someone to take care of him. He was just seven years old."

I am speechless. I never meet my mother. She died when I was born so I sort of understand him, but that doesn't give him the right to kill people, to kill Gabriele to disrespect my father's memory. To be so cruel and vicious. After all my father didn't knew it was for his mother. My father was a fair man he would have given the money.

"Who are you? And how do you know these things?"-I ask the man.

"My name is Alessandro. I am Domenico's first cousin and his most trusted man. After his mother died my parents took care of him. We were raised together and when Domenico turned 10 years old he swore to take revenge for his family. And now... Well he fulfilled his promise."

"Why did you tell me this?"-I ask him.

"Because you told me to."-he says and smiles.

"Yes but you could have chosen not to tell me. Why did you do it?"

"Because I am watching what he did to you, but I have also seen what life has done to him. So before you judge him or even hate him, you should know what he has been through."

"I think you should go"-I say.

"Ci vediamo signora."-he says and walks out.

I am confused, I don't trust anybody. He is going to kill me like he did to the others. I have seen the evil in his eyes. The evil caused by pain..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alessandro POV
I get out of the basement and go to Domenico's room.

"Fratello lei non sembra essere bene. Lei non ha mangiato in giorni."(Brother she doesn't seem to be good. She hasn't eaten in days.)

"Perche dovrei fregarmene? Lei non ha mangiato quello Che ho portato a lei"
(Why should I care? She didn't ate what I brought to her."

"She can't go on like this. You can't go on like this. Forget about the past now and focus on justice. Stefano didn't knew."

"Cazzate! (Bullsh*t) He knew, he just wanted to show his strength, his power and that bastard killed my father. Now he payed the prize."

"What about the girl? She can't stay in the basement without food or water."

"She did it to herself. She hit me"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dianora POV

I hear the door opening again. The maid comes inside.
"Signorina cosa ti è successo?"(Miss what has happened to you?)-she says almost crying.
"Mia piccola Dianora, quel uomo è crudele."(my little Dianora that man is cruel)
"Vieni qui andiamo a sua camera. Il signore dice che va cenare con voi."
(Come on here lets go to your room. The sir says he is going to have dinner with you.)