2| nerves

I woke up to Haley poking my arm hard.

"Mel, wakeup! This is the big day!" Her face was right in front of me. I groggily opened my eyes and rubbed them. "Rubbing your eyes causes wrinkles," Haley warned me. I rolled my eyes.

I looked at the clock and groaned, "It's nine in the morning!"

"Cause it's nine in the afternoon!" Haley screamed and ran out of my room. I slowly got out of bed and walked down to the kitchen, she was already eating a bowl of cereal. I fixed myself a bowl and sat down next to her on our kitchen's island. The television was on but I wasn't watching. I was nervous about tonight. I drummed my fingertips on the counter top and shoveled the cereal into my mouth.

"You're quiet," Haley seemed to notice my silence. I nodded and proceeded to eat my bowl of cereal. "What's up with you?"

I shrugged and set my now empty bowl in the sink. I didn't want to tell her I was nervous about the concert tonight. I went back upstairs and did my bathroom routine and took a quick shower.

I got out of the shower and spritz my hair with a salt water based hair product for my straight hair. My hair suddenly had a lot more texture and I fingered through it while I let it air dry. I didn't put the clothes on I was going to wear yet.

I went outside and sat on the couch swing on my porch. Haley followed after me.

"What's wrong?" She asked me again.

"Just nervous, that's all," I muttered and inspected the nail polish on my fingers. Surprising none of it chipped yet, which I was fortunate of.

"The concert?" She continued, as if I had other things to be nervous about.

"Yes, I'm nervous about seeing my future husband," I chuckled and she playfully hit my arm.

"Gosh, don't you just love Brendon Urie," she exclaimed and jumped out of the swing. The swing, in response, swung slowly.

"I love him, and he doesn't even know I exist," I somberly looked at the porch's wood flooring.

I heard Haley laugh, "Mel, he doesn't know a lot of his fans exist. That doesn't mean he doesn't love us though." I pondered what Haley just told me. It was true, he probably loved all of his millions of fans. Brendon Urie overall was a nice guy.

"Oh, I don't know, Hal. What time is it?" I suddenly remembered that the concert was only in a few mere hours.

She looked at her phone quickly, "It's about two." The concert was at 6 p.m.

"Let's get ready and head over to a diner, the one with the really good burgers," Haley nodded and we headed upstairs. I checked on my now barely damp hair and spritzed a few more squirts into my hair to ensure maximum volume. The outfit was on and I applied a dark purple lip stick to match my nails. I wasn't really of a makeup fanatic, so just some foundation, eyeliner and mascara would do. I slipped on my black converse and looked at Haley. She wore white converse.

"I swear, we're opposites!" I laughed.

"Opposites attract," she responded with a grin.

"Let's go!" I grabbed my car keys and we walked into the garage to meet my black convertible bug. "Ah my Suzy Q." My black car had a white interior, in which I called her Suzy Q, after Hostess's Suzy Q cakes. "She's such a beaut." I gazed upon my marvelous car and opened up the drivers side door.

"I will never understand the relationship between your car and you," Haley stared at me. I shrugged and started Suzy Q up. I felt the nerves of the concert begin to settle in my stomach. I started on the drive to a small diner.

"I'm nervous," I confessed.

"About what?" Haley sighed and kept playing on her phone. She asked me the question without her eyes leaving the screen.

"What if we meet him," it sounded stupid as it came out of my mouth.

Haley looked up. I could feel her eyes on me while I nervously bit my lip. We stopped at a red light and I glanced at her. "If we meet him, that would be cool. I doubt we will, think of how many people are going to be there though."

"What if he sees us and he gets a stage hand to bring us backstage and we meet him?" I asked her, the light turned green again.

She looked back down at her phone and responded, "Damn, you've thought of a thousand ways that we'd suddenly meet him."

I winced and parked the car. "We're here."

She put her phone down and put her hand on my arm, "What if when we go in there, Brendon is in there also eatting a burger?"

I could feel the nerves build up and I felt sick. Haley saw my face become green and quickly took her hand off my arm, "Kidding!"

"I hate you, Haley," I said bitterly.

"I hate me too!" Haley jumped out of my car and quickly threw in two quarters into a parking meter. "I'm starving!"

I measly got out of the car and slowly walked into the burger joint. I glanced around to see if I could see Brendon.

No sign of him.

I felt happy that my nerves went away, but I was disappointed he wasn't there as well. Fortunately, I would be seeing him in a few short hours on stage.