6| waiting game

"Girls love girls and boys!" I screamed.

"And love is not a choice," Haley responded as we danced like two idiots listening to Brendon's voice. My phone went off and we ran screaming to check it, just a text from my mom seeing if we want pizza for dinner.

Brendon had not texted, it was the next day. I assumed he never would text me, as I was just another fan. Haley thought he wanted to wait and be cool about it. I don't know, but he was having a long turn.

"God damn it Mom!" She moaned and pounded on her head.

"Hal, calm down!" I calmly said. We referred to our parents as our mothers and second mothers and fathers and second fathers. So she called my mom mom as well.

"I just want him to text you!" She grumbled and sat grumpily on the couch next to me. "He looked out his window before he left, and I swear he had a look for you!" She thought Brendon took a second glance at me, I didn't see it. Just like another cliché movie scene she wanted my life to be.

"He probably just wanted to see if I got in alright," I shooed away the thought of Brendon liking me. I was just another fan.

"The way he looked at you!" She argues with me.

She crossed her arms and I raised my eyebrow, "Childish are we?"

"You're just being difficult!" She threw her arms up and sighed dramatically.

I frowned, "Brendon Urie is the one being difficult." Her whole mood changed and she acted like as if I just reminded her that her best friend gave Brendon her number yesterday.

"I bet he'll text you later tonight," she got up and wandered into my kitchen.

"What kind of pizza do you want?" I asked her and looked at the text message from my mom again.

She shrugged, "The usual?"

I nodded and typed to my mother that we wanted one cheese and one pepperoni pizza. One of the things we could never agree on is pizza. I liked pepperoni and Haley liked cheese.

"I texted mom and she said it was okay," I looked back up at Haley digging through our cupboards.

She shut the door and looked at me with a frown on her face. "What if he doesn't text you back, Mel."

I set my phone down on the table and shrugged. I mean, I felt like he wouldn't. Brendon Urie was famous with a god given body, and I am, me. My blonde hair and blue eyes, I wasn't anything special looking. I felt a tear well up in my eye and I looked down, I guess I was really hurt.

"Oh shit, Mel? Are you crying?" she wrapped her arms around me and I felt a few more tears slip out.

"Fuck, it's pathetic to cry over someone who doesn't even want you," Haley ran her finger under my eye to wipe the tears away.

She nodded and hugged me close, "Well, even if I don't have that much boy experience, I know that they take awhile. They're stupid sometimes, don't let Brendon get to you."

"Let's go watch a movie," I heard the front door open and the smelt of pizza filled the air.

Hal and I ran to the front of the house and met my mother there. She had two pizzas and her work stuff in her hands.

"Hi mom!" We both said happily as we helped her with her things.

She gave us a warm smile, "Hello girls, so how was the concert?" I realized we hadn't talked to my mom about anything that happened in the past two days. She was at work all today and we didn't get back from the concert until late yesterday.

"It was great! We got to meet Brendon!" Haley squealed. My mom's eyes widened and her mouth opened a little. "And someone gave him her number, after they went on a date!"

I elbowed Haley, "It wasn't a date."

"The hell it was!" she grabbed a slice of pizza and sat on the couch.

My mom gave me a look as she grabbed a piece of pizza as well and sitting next to Haley, "You went on a date with Brendon Urie?"

I filled her in with all the details and Haley pitched in as well. We ate our pizza and talked amongst each other.

"Time for a movie!" my mom said loudly.

"What if he doesn't text me, Mom?" I asked her.

She pursed her lips together and shook her head, "Then fuck him. Boys aren't worth it anyway." My mom was anti-boy because of the nasty divorce that my father and her had. He ended up moving away, and I haven't talked to him in over six years. I could have cared less about him, my mother was amazing at being both roles in my life.

"So what movie?" Haley asked for the second time.

"No scary movies," My mom pitched in, she was a chicken when it came to the horror genre. We both groaned about that, we on the other hand loved scary movies.

We were quiet while we thought of a movie. I went over some of the best ones in my head, The Lost Boys movie was amazing, but it was a vampire movie and my mom didn't like those. Phantom of the Opera crossed my head, but Haley hated music movies.

"What about a Disney movie?" Haley asked.

My mother snorted, "What are we? 12?" Haley looked down and thought some more.

"What about 21 Jump Street?" I asked. All three of us enjoyed a good comedy.

My mom squealed and Haley wrapped herself in a blanket that was on the couch.

"You have such good ideas, Melanie!" my mom said as she threw the remote to Haley. She proceeded to get up and put the rest of the pizza away. Haley flipped through our Netflix and I grabbed myself a blanket.

The house was suddenly quiet, as if fate knew what was going to happen. I heard a ding come from my phone and I jumped over the couch and ret retrieved it from the kitchen counter.

Hey

An unknown number texted me, I squealed and ran to show Haley. She jumped up and down on the couch and my mom chuckled.

Hi

I responded to the text and crossed my fingers for Brendon to respond quickly.

This Mel?

The text almost immediately came through. I could feel butterflies doing summersaults in my stomach as Haley gawked over my shoulder at my texts.

If this is Bren?

"You have nicknames already!" Haley cooed and I gave her the 'look.'

"Everyone calls me Mel, and Bren is a short version of Brendon. Hardly nicknames," I retorted, she gave me her own 'look.'

Indeed it is, I'm going to be in your town tomorrow. Want to go to dinner again?

Haley screamed and my mom rolled her eyes.

"Teenagers," She mumbled.

"He asked you out!!" Haley got up and started to parade around the house.

"What do I say?" I started to freak out, I didn't want to seem lame.

"Gimmie!" Haley snatched my phone and quickly typed out a message to Brendon.

Oh Bren, Don't Threaten Me With a Good Time! ;)