.:Chapter Thirteen:.

You stood in front of a closing elevator, facing the most expensive apartment that you would probably ever stand in. You'd been standing there for a good minute, taking in your current surroundings before taking a step further into luxury. You could feel Sasuke at your side, lingering uncertainly.

"Is there something wrong?" he asked.

You shook your head. "No," you said, and cleared your throat. "Lead the way."

He brought you out of the small entrance where the elevator brought you to, and you walked into the living room. It was large and airy, with a TV unit taking up and entire wall, and a huge sectional couch taking up most of the rest of the room. Behind the couch was a line of windows that lead out onto the balcony which wrapped around the rest of the penthouse. The sliding doors were pulled wide open, revealing the room to the rest of the world. Sasuke said nothing as he led you straight through the room, figuring you could make out what it was on your own, and he brought you down a wide hallway. There were only a few doors in the hall, and they were all widely spread apart from each other. He brought you to the end of the hall, and for a second you thought he was going to bring you through the door that was at the very end and staring straight into the hall, but he suddenly turned left and opened a door straight to the left. He pushed the door wide open, then took a step back and allowed you to enter first. It was decorated in the same style as the rest of the house; modern contemporary.

"I'll let you get settled in," he said, and dropped your suitcase, which he had insisted on carrying in for you, beside the door. "Come find me when you're done."

"Okay," you said, and flashed him a grateful smile. "Thanks again." He nodded, then left you to be alone.

You brought your suitcase further into the room, not bothering to empty its contents into the dresser since you would only be staying a few days. You took this time to explore your room a little more. The main attraction was the bed, which was an ultra-king sized mattress. There was a smooth grey blanket stretched across it, and tucked tightly into the bedframe, which was low to the ground. The two bedside tables were equally as short, as way the TV console across from the bed. Other than the dresser and white leather chair in the corner, there wasn't much furniture in the room. All that decorated the room was a large white carpet thrown fashionably on the floor, and black and white modern art pieces hung on the grey walls. There was a wall of only white curtains, which you pulled back to reveal another wall of windows, with its own entrance onto the balcony. You peeled open the doors, and felt the cool wind brush your face. You took a step onto the balcony, and peered over the edge onto the street below. It was busy, as it always was in the city. There were people yelling, and car honking, and music playing from different directions, although it was a bit hard to hear from this high up. You had to admit that Sasuke had a better view from his apartment than from yours. Where you could only see tall brick walls and sketchy alleyways from the windows at your place, Sasuke had a breathtaking view of the skyscrapers and landscaping of the city. You could only imagine how beautiful this same image would look at night.

You started to wander along the balcony to see the view from every angle. As you just rounded the corner, you could see someone else hanging around. It was Sasuke, staring out at the city with his arms spread and gripping the railing. It looked like something straight out a magazine; him, in his snazzy business suit, with his million dollar apartment behind him and the excitement of the city just before his eyes.

His eyes caught your figure, and he leaned his head towards you in acknowledgement. You took this as an invitation to speak. "Your apartment is really nice," you said, taking small steps closer to him. "Big, too. You could probably fit my entire apartment into the guest room."

He smiled just a little. "It is what it is," he said, and you couldn't tell if he was being modest, or if he was genuinely unimpressed with what he had.

After a long moment of silence, he asked, "Are you hungry?" You nodded feverishly, and as if that wasn't a good enough response, your stomach grumbled loudly. He nearly smiled again.

¤¤¤

"I've never heard of this place before," you said as Sasuke opened the top of the pizza box. Steamed trailed into the air as soon as it was let out, and you smiled greedily.

"I don't order from them a lot," Sasuke admitted, as he handed you a paper plate and took one for himself.

"Do you usually hire a chef to make gourmet meals for you?" you asked, and dropped two thick slices onto your plate. Sasuke took three.

"I don't have a chef," he said, taking a bite out of his pepperoni slice. "I cook, most of the time."

You looked at him with a shocked expression widening your face. "You cook?" you asked.

"Yes," he said, almost defensively.

"Wow," you said and leaned further back onto the couch. "I never thought you were the type."

"Is there a certain 'type' it takes to cook?"

"No, it's just – don't rich people usually have other people do all their work. Cooking, cleaning, gardening... that sort of stuff."

"I don't have a garden."

"You know what I'm saying."

He sighed. "I do have a maid that comes in once a week and dusts, but I do my own cooking."

"So you've been holding out on me," you said, and shook your head disapprovingly.

"Huh?"

"All this time you've been a five-star chef, and you're treating me to pizza."

You almost heard a chuckle escape him, but he controlled himself. "I'll make you something another time." He said, which made you smile.

The rest of the night was a lot different than how you originally thought it would be. You assumed that after he brought you to the apartment, the two of you would go your separate ways and ignore each other unless you needed to speak. But after finishing the box of pizza, and a few bottles of wine, the two of you stayed in the living room and continued to hang out until midnight. You watched a few movies, told a few stories, and after shaming Sasuke for not having any board games, you ran across the street and bought Monopoly. Of course, he crushed you in a humiliating defeat, but at least you got to be the race car. Any worry that you had was gone. You weren't scared of awkward conversations, or uncertain boundaries, of the possibility of him being a serial killer.

You didn't remember falling asleep on the couch after your third round of monopoly, but you did faintly remember being lifted off the couch, and held in two strong arms as you were brought out of the brightly lit living room, and into the darkness of the hall. You remember passing through a slowly opened door, and being placed down on the softest surface that you had ever touched. You remembered a blanket being pulled over you, and the uncomfortable feeling of being tucked in with your day clothes still on, but being too tired to change into pajamas. And lastly, you remembered two lips on your temple, and a soft 'Goodnight' whispered from a husky voice. You passed out minutes after that, from your long day of worry and running around, and excitement and laughter and eating too much pizza. You fell asleep with the memory of a soft kiss and sweet voices, but when you awoke in the morning, you didn't remember a second of it.