.:Chapter Eighteen:.

"What about this one?" Miki asked and slid an open magazine over to Sora. She briefly glanced at the page, then shook her head and moved onto the other dozen bridal magazines that were being shoved in her face. All the waitresses were gathered in the empty café since it was Sunday and Espress was closed. You pushed a couple of table together and spread out all the weddings plans, and all of you had been discussing the event for over three hours. You'd been paying attention for the first two and a half hours, but you became distracted when you received a text from Sasuke. He was cancelling plans for the tenth time in a month (not that you were counting) because something from work came up. It wasn't like you had anything important planned, you were just going to his apartment to watch a movie, but you still couldn't help but feel a little disappointed when he told you he would have to take a rain-check.

"(Y/N)," Sora said with a sigh and pushed away Emiko and Rin who were both trying to get her to look at what they wanted to show her. "I can't do this anymore. What do you think?" she asked.

"Think about what?" you asked.

"Wedding dresses," she said obviously. "Are you okay? You seem a bit distracted."

"It's probably her boyfriend," Rin said and snickered. You shot her a look.

"He's not my boyfriend."

"Who's not your boyfriend?" Miki asked.

"Sasuke."

"Oh!" she said excitedly. "I didn't know you were dating."

You scoffed in disbelief. "We're not."

"Yeah, yeah," she said dismissively, then slid you the magazine that she'd just shown Sora. "What do you think of this? Isn't it perfect for Sora?" she asked.

The dress in the magazine was a large princess wedding dress, with a sweetheart neckline, diamond belt, and lace detailing on the bottom of the huge tulle skirt. It was nearly the opposite of what you imagined Sora to walk down the aisle in. You scrunched up your nose and shook your head. Miki sighed in defeat, then took her magazine away.

"I'm never gonna find the perfect dress," Sora said in defeat.

"Sure you are," Emiko said reassuringly, then looked at you. "Maybe if (Y/N) could get her boyfriend off her mind for a little bit, she could help us look."

You were about to protest Sasuke being your boyfriend again, when Sora cut in and asked, "By the way, are Sasuke and his friends coming?"

You nodded. "They all confirmed. They asked me for ideas on what to get you for a wedding gift."

Sora waved her hand dismissively. "They don't need to get us a gift, I haven't even met them."

"If you don't give them any ideas, Naruto will show up with a wrapped pack of ramen."

"That might be a good idea, seeing as we won't be able to eat for a few months after paying for this wedding," she said grudgingly.

"Don't say stuff like that. You and Kou are businesspeople, you'll work through it. Besides, you've been saving up for this wedding since you got engaged. It's been what, four years?"

"Well we've invested a lot into the café. It's a lot of work running a business," she said and sighed, then shook her head and planted both of her hands on the table. "Speaking of business, we need to get back to this. Has anyone found anything?" she asked.

You filed through a few catalogues and picked up one that had been thrown to the side and hidden under a stack of thoroughly searched magazines. You flipped through it for a while, analyzing every page and every dress, until you came across the perfect one.

It was a vintage wedding dress. The length pooled around the models feet elegantly, and a sweetheart neckline with beaded cap sleeves and a diamond cut-out in the back. The fabric had a beautiful beaded pattern sewn onto the silky fabric of the dress. It screamed Sora to you. You tossed the magazine to Sora, and you could see by the look on her face that she thought it was perfect too.

¤¤¤

It was around 11:00 pm when you heard a knock on your door. You were already in bed – not sleeping, but getting comfy – and groaned as you forced yourself out of the warm blankets. It was December now, and the temperature was far too cold to be walking around without a fuzzy blanket wrapped around you. You held the blanket around yourself and slowly approached the front door. You'd never gotten a visit this late at night, and when you looked through the peek-hole you entirely expected it to be a serial killer. But it was only Sasuke. You groaned in annoyance and opened the door for him.

"What are you doing here?" you asked in a quiet voice, not wanting to disturb the other tenants.

"I blew you off again today," he said.

You raised an eyebrow. "Okay, and you came all the way over here just to tell me that? Because I got that information in a text when the sun was up and I didn't have work in seven hours."

He ignored you and pushed his way into your apartment. You reluctantly closed the door behind him. "I felt kinda bad," he admitted, sounding a little embarrassed, and when Sasuke felt embarrassed, he sounded pissed. He often used anger to hide his discomfort.

"So you came to my apartment at midnight to apologize? It's fine, Sasuke, our plans get cancelled all the time."

"See, that's why I feel bad," he said. "It's just busy at work. Busier than usual."

"It's okay," you said soothingly. "I understand."

He was silent for a second. "My office is having this party," he started. "It's some stupid Christmas party that Sakura throws every year. You coming would make it a lot less insufferable."

"Well, I'm convinced," you said sarcastically, but you still smiled. "Won't it be a little weird to bring a stranger to an office party?"

"Not as weird as inviting three strangers to a friend's wedding," he countered with a smirk.

"Alright, fine. I'd be happy to attend," you said, and you saw Sasuke's ghost of a smile. You suddenly yawned, long and loud, and stretched your arms into the air. "I'm exhausted. You can tell me the details of your mixer tomorrow."

He closed his eyes like he was in pain. "Don't call it a mixer."

"What should I call it then? A shindig? Maybe a shebang, or a wingding."

He rubbed with eyes tiredly. "Alright, I'm leaving," he said, then made for the door.

"Goodnight, Sasuke," you called after him.

"Goodnight, (Y/N)," he said through the door, before closing it behind him and retreating down the hall. You yawned again, then trudged back into the bedroom and shimmied under the covers. Once you were under the covers, feeling warm and snuggly again, you fell asleep as soon as you closed your eyes.