.:Chapter Twenty-Six:.

When Sasuke said he had a day to get away from the office, you thought that meant he could take a break from work entirely and spend the day with you. But what it really meant was that he was bringing his office with him to your apartment.

Before he arrived you set up a movie on the TV and popped a couple bags of popcorn, the smell of butter filling your apartment. When there was a knock on your door at nine, you excitedly opened the door. Sasuke, of course, was the one behind it, but when you went to throw your arms around him in a loving hug, you had to stop yourself. Slung around his shoulder was his laptop bag, and in both hands he carried a brown banker's box.

"Hi," he said, and strolled past you into your apartment.

"Hi," you said and looked at what he was holding. "Um, what's all that?"

"Work," he said, and set his box and laptop on the dining table.

"Work?" you asked, and all your previous excitement drained from your body. "I thought you said you had a day off today."

"What I said was that I could get away from the office, and I'm here, aren't I?" he asked.

You sighed, then stalked over to him. He was already busy setting up his work station, so you went up behind him and placed your hands on his shoulders, slowly massaging them. "Can't you just forget about work for a little bit?" you asked. "I barely see you anymore." You placed a small trail of kisses from his neck to his jaw.

Sasuke sighed and turned around, taking your hands in his. "I'm sorry," he said and kissed your forehead. "Just give me an hour."

You pulled your hands back and let your arms fall to your sides. You sighed deeply, then said, "Fine," and sat on the couch alone. You turned on the movie without saying a word and kept your eyes fixated on the screen. In your peripheral vision you could see Sasuke staring at you, then sigh before he sank into the dining chair and began clicking away at his laptop.

***

You finished the movie by yourself. Sasuke never once left his seat at the dining table; he hadn't said anything to you in over two hours. You didn't even know if you wanted his attention anymore.

It was getting late, so you peeled yourself off from the couch and trudged over to the dining table. You leaned your hands against the wood and watched Sasuke work for a minute, then asked, "How much longer do you think you're gonna be?"

"That that much longer," he said. "I'll come watch the movie with you in a minute."

You rubbed your tired eyes. "The movie's over, Sasuke."

"Is it?"

"Mhm."

"Oh, sorry."

You sighed again. "What are you even doing anyways?" you asked and peered over at his laptop screen.

"Right now I'm trying to get this presentation together. I'm organizing for a company meeting I've set for a couple of weeks from now."

"Okay, well I'm going to bed. You can let yourself out," you said, then stalked into your bedroom and closed the door behind you. You stripped out of your jeans and t-shirt and slipped an oversized shirt over your head, then crawled into bed. You tried your hardest to fall asleep, but for some reason, you were stuck lying awake. You heard the clicking of Sasuke's laptop keys for a minute before they stopped suddenly. You wondered if he left, but you hadn't heard the front door open or close. You heard the scraping of the dining chair against the floor, then the shuffling of footsteps, and your bedroom door was slowly pushed open. You squeezed your eyes shut and pretended to sleep. Sasuke slowly made his way over to your bed and slipped in beside you. You kept your eyes closed even though your back was facing him. He gently wrapped his arm around your waist and pulled you into him. He kissed your neck, then whispered, "I'm sorry." You knew he knew that you were really awake, but he didn't say anything about it as he fell asleep next to you.

Eventually you gave into him and laced your fingers with his. You squeezed his hand lightly, and it was only when he squeezed back, letting you know he was still there, that you were able to drift off to sleep.