Chapter Ten

“That’s not how you’re suppose to do it!” A little voice screamed from the kitchen. A small smile stretched across my lips as the house filled with voices, for once I didn’t feel alone.

“Wendie, you know you don’t know how to read right?” Pax’s tired voice mumbled in reply.

“I do too!” She squeaked and I saw her pout as I walked into the kitchen.

Pax rolled his eyes before they met mine, he gave me a little grin and then took Wendie off the counter. “We didn’t wake you did we?”

“No.” I shook my head a little stunned by how ‘friendly’ he was being, especially this early in the morning. “I’m going running.”

“I’m Wendie.” The little girl introduced herself as she made her way out from behind the counter, “I’m four.”

“Hi, I’m Emily.” I smiled and she grinned.

"Is this your house?" She asked her eyes wide in excitement.

"Yeah it is. Did you sleep well?" I asked her but my eyes flickered to Pax as he watched us.

"Come on Wendie, we have to go deliver breakfast." Pax said as he turned off the stove and smiled, "Sorry to keep you from running."

"I like the distraction." I told him as I watched them leave through the back door and back to the guest house. Two little squeals came from the house for a moment before the door shut and it was quiet again.

Sighing I picked up the phone and called the maid and cook. Promising that they’d be over later I hung up and began my run. I ran longer than usual because even though I enjoyed having people at my house, I was used to being alone so I embraced it.

Finally I made my way home and as I opened up the door the delicious smell of food hit me. I smiled as made my way into the kitchen, “Hey Polly.” I greeted.

Polly let out a squeal as she threw her arms around my shoulder, “Oh Emily! How I’ve missed you!” Polly was an older lady with gray hair, she was absolutely lovely. She treated me like her granddaughter, especially when it came to food. She was the best.

“I just saw you a few weeks ago.” I laughed.

“I honestly didn’t think you’d last so long without my cooking.” She smiled as she went back to the stove.

“And what do you mean by that?” I laughed.

“It means you're horrible at cooking so I’m glad to know you’re still alive.”

“That’s what take out is for.” I joked and earned a glare as well as a swat from Polly. She hated take out. “I’m joking, mostly.”