Chapter Twenty

Black. That’s all I could see as I looked out into the sea of people that had shown up to my mother’s wake. Across the room Nate held Noah in his arms with Pax by his side. He’s been here for hours and I wasn’t sure just how long he’d stay but it was comforting to look up and see him standing there.

I’ve seen people I haven’t seen in years. My mother came from a large family so the place was packed, not to mention that she had dozens of friends. My dad even showed up, leaving his new wife and child at home as he walked through the doors. He was given glares from the people in the room but he didn’t seemed to be bothered by it at all.

I followed him with my eyes and stepped out of line and made my way across the room to him. His eyes were glazed over as he looked down at my mother in her casket. “I never meant to hurt you.”

I looked at him confused and let him continue to talk. “Your mother didn’t want me to stay in the house anymore. I wasn’t being a very good husband or father, but I loved you and your mother very much.” I gulped nervously, “She kicked me out, I didn’t leave. She wanted better for herself and for you.”

“S-she kicked you out?” I stuttered, she knew how much it hurt when I thought he left us. She let me hate him, she let me cry for months!

“Don’t hate her.” He told me like he could read my thoughts, or just my face, “She still kept in contact with me and sent pictures. I was even lucky enough to be invited to your events. Your ballet recital when you were eleven, you were beautiful.” He was there.

All this time I thought my father could careless about me or my mother and here I was finding out about how wrong I was. “Like I said, don’t hate her.” He kissed my forehead lovingly and I let him. If he wouldn’t have told me about my mother I wouldn’t have let him even touch me. “I love you baby girl.”

“I love you too daddy.” I sighed and gave him a quick hug, “Have you meet Charlie?”

“Not in person, no.” He shook his head as he followed me over to Charlie.

Charlie gave me a smile and then looked at my father. “Charlie,” I spoke softly, “This is my dad.” There was a awkward silence and I couldn’t believe that I stood there as the two guys just stared at each other. I noticed that most of people were looking over at us as they to noticed the tension.

My father held out his hand first for Charlie to shake. Charlie seemed surprised as he looked down at it and noticed his nose twitch slightly before he put his hand in his. They didn’t speak, they just looked at each other.

“Alright then.” My dad sighed and looked away from him, “I’ll see you later, I guess.” He told me and I nodded.

“Bye Dad.” I gave him a hug and then he was gone. Charlie gave me a side hug and I leaned into him. I noticed Pax across the room but he was looking at me  now, worry clear on his face. I gave him a reassuring smile, that I’m sure didn’t look convincing at all.

I looked to the door just in time to see the new person walk into the room. I felt my body tense as I stared at him, my eyes going wide. I looked to Pax again but he was glaring at the new person but what surprised me most was the anger on Nate’s face. I mean they met once. Given the last time they were together there was an almost fight.