Chapter Eleven

We had to take two cars, Pax’s and mine. Pax took the little girls and his mom while I took the twins, Felix and Nate.

We all meet at the front door and Wendie greeted me first. “Come on,” She tugged on my hand and pulled me to Pax. I smiled at him and he shook his head, his lips twitching ever so slightly.

“We’re going to split up, half and half?” Karen spoke from the front of the group, “Divide and conquer.”

“Sure,” We all agreed.

“Who wants to go with me?” Nate asked and Pax’s sisters giggled.

“Sure.” Hazel grinned and tugged on Nate’s sleeve to pull him away with Mary following. Felix shook his head and gestured to them.

“I’m going to be following them.” He said before taking off. Pax seemed to relax at that and then looked at his mom.

“You want me to take the girls?” He asked looking between the little girl who held her mom’s hand tightly and the little girl on her hip.

“Nope, I need to buy these two new shoes anyway.” She shook the hand the little girl held.

Pax smiled slightly and reached into his pocket and pulled out a twenty. He handed it to his mom and she smiled. “Thanks Pax.”

He nodded and then looked down at Wendie, “You want to come with me?”

“Yes, please.” She told him politely.

“Okay, we’ll meet back here in an hour then.” Karen told us and then waved as they left.

Pax picked up Wendie and began to walk away, leaving me standing there. I looked after him, surprised. He asked me here and then totally ignored me. And I thought we were making such good progress.

Annoyed I decided to just forget about it and shop anyway, I mean that was why I was here anyway, right? I made my way to the first store where I bought a ton of cute things before I decided that I didn’t need anything else from this store. An hour later and my hands were full of bags but don’t get me wrong, they weren’t all for me. I bought some stuff for Pax’s family. I just need to find a good way to give it to them without them taking it the wrong way, which I’m sure Pax would.

“Emily?” Chelsea asked unsure in front of me. Once she confirmed it was me she looked at me weird. “What are you doing? Didn’t you get my calls?”

I bit my lip, “You called me?” I asked, “Sorry I can’t reach my phone but uh, I’m sorry, what was it that you wanted?”

“I was going to ask you if you wanted to come shopping with me.” She laughed, “But you already did.”

“Yeah,” I laughed shaking my head.

“Oh, have you seen Robbie or Violet?” She asked when there was a silence.