Chapter Sixteen

“Baby!” My mom greeted me in a hug once I made my way off the plane, Nate by my side. “Nate.” She smiled at him.

Nate nodded and looked around, “Is my dad here?”

“He had to work this afternoon.” She sounded sad but then perked up, “we get to spend the evening walking around the city though, that should be fun.” She told us excitedly while leading us outside where there was a car waiting.

Nate gave me a look and I knew that he didn’t want to spend the day with my mom. I gave him a smile, “It won’t be that bad.”

“Please.” He rolled his eyes.

“We’re in Paris, how could you not have a great time?” I questioned him, slightly annoyed, he was being ridiculous.

“It’s not where we are, it’s the company.” He muttered.

I was hurt. I know it might seem like a ridiculous notion but I actually believed that Nate and I have become closer so to hear that he didn’t enjoy my company hurt, a little.

“Come on Ems.” He threw his arm around my shoulders, “We both knew who I’m talking about.” I guess I did. He hated everybody, my mother and Charlie included.

“Then why did you come?”

“And pass up Paris?” He joked, “Please, I want to be here for the baby.”

I looked at him in awe, “You care about the baby?”

“Of course I do. I have a heart Emily.” He narrowed his eyes before sliding into the car. I thanked the driver as he closed my door. My mom went off on explaining that we were going out to eat at the finest restaurant in the city.

I rolled my eyes and tuned her out as the car began to move. I stared at the beautiful lights around the city, it was night and the lights flickered as we passed by. No matter how many times I’ve been to Paris it never fails to make me catch my breath.

The car began to go further out from the city, making its way up a small hill. Of course I knew where we were heading. Charlie owned a house on the small hillside over looking the city. It had amazing views and was quiet the place.

The house was big, a lot like the one in our town. I would say back in the states but Charlie owns four houses in the USA alone. I was beyond tired and I wanted nothing more than to curl up and sleep. I also knew that that was out of the question.

Charlie greeted us once we were in the house and gave us five minutes to freshen up. I was on a plane for thirteen hours, I needed more than five minutes to freshen up. After I decided that I looked half way decent I went downstairs to meet Charlie and my mom as they waited.

“How was your flight Emily.” Charlie asked pleasantly as he made his way over to me.