Chapter Eighteen

“Emily, what happened? Are you hurt? Please tell me what’s wrong so I can help you.”

“I-I don’t know what to do.” I sobbed into the phone, “I just..”

“Em. Calm down, please.” He tried again. “take a deep breath, you’re going to be alright. Okay?” I shook my head but didn’t say anything, even though I knew he couldn’t see me. “Em, you still there.”

“I-I...can’t.” I managed my breathing becoming ragged.

“Hey, hey.” His voice was calm but he must have been freaking out because his voice cracked, “What happened?”

“My mom.” I shook my head while the image of her laying in pain as they wheeled her past me covered in blood came into my mind. “She’s...I don’t know.”

I heard him suck in a breath before he spoke again. “I’m going to…shit Em.”

“I’m sorry.” I sighed, I was making him angry. No doubt he was question even talking to me again. I shook my head and let out a breath. “I don’t know what to do.”

“Just breath, alright.” He told me calmly. “I’m going to stay on the phone with you until you’re alright.”

“Pax.” I whispered softly. “I’m sorry. I made a mistake years ago. I didn’t mean to hurt you. To hurt our friendship.”

“Emily. There is nothing, nothing, for you to be sorry about.” He told me quickly. “You don’t need to worry anymore, okay. I’m right here and I’m not going anywhere ever again.”

“You’re sweet Pax.” I hiccuped, “So sweet.”

“I know.” He chuckled as he let out out what sounded like a relieved sigh. “What did she have?”

“A boy.”

“That’s cool.” He agreed, “Well cool if he doesn’t turn out like Felix.”

“Yeah, imagine.” I laughed, “Like that time Felix tried to start us on fire-,”

“Because he thought we stole his video game-,” He cut in.

“When really Hazel and Mary took it-,”

“And yet we still got in trouble.” He finished.

“I know!” I laughed, “Your brother is an evil genius.”

“Don’t let him hear you say that, it’ll go to his head.”

I laughed and let out a sigh. “Thanks. You’re a really good distraction.”