14: Haldir

Haldir was walking around Lothlórien seeing if there was any trouble, but fortunately there was none. As he made his way back, very slowly, because he wanted to stay there a bit longer, he heard a soft voice singing, traveling though the air. As he was about to go investigate whether the person, elf, or what every species it was, was dangerous, he was called out to by a guard. The guard saying that there was a young princess elf was coming and the Lady Galadriel wanted him to guard her. He made his way there completely forgetting about the voice he had heard.

When he found his way to were the Lady Galadriel and Lord Celeborn was waiting. He saw a young elfling hiding behind Galadriel's legs as she stared up at Celeborn, who was kneeling down to her height. Haldir was just watching them until the little she-elfling bright e/c orbs looked his way. The young elfin immediately hid her face in Galadriel's dress, which made both Galadriel and Celeborn to look at what she saw. They both smiled when they saw Haldir and called him over to introduce them to each other.

"Haldir, this is princess y/n, from Mirkwood. Her father, Legolas, is here and will be doing work for us and wanted someone trustworthy to look after her and I immediately thought of you, seeing as you don't let anything happen to anyone in your care." Galadriel told her as she saw that Haldir's eyes didn't sift from the elfling.

The young elfling brought her head away from Galadriel's dress slightly to have a look at the elf, but only to hid her face again afterwards.

"It seems that it will take a while for her to warm up to you." Celeborn said to Haldir.

Haldir nodded then walked over to them and kneeled down to the blonde haired and e/c eyed elf's height. He introduced himself to her and told her why he was looking after her, she nodded in understanding. Haldir then stood up and offered her his hand to take. Slowly, but cautiously, she took his hand. He then lead her away, but not to far, she could still see Galadriel from where they where. This seemed to make the young elfling trust him more.

As the days went by, the shy little elfling slowly came out her and it showed to everyone that knew the elfling would say so to her father, Legolas. But one day as Haldir was looking after her on the last day, he was called away for a minute and once he returned his attention back to her.

She was gone.

He was about to turn to look for her and tell Lady Galadriel and Prince Legolas, but a sword caught his attention. He bent down and picked it up. One word came out his mouth.

"Orc's."

He raced to get a legion of soldiers together and set straight out and told someone to tell the Lady Galadriel and Prince Legolas to where they went. As Haldir was tracking her, it was leading them to Dol Gurldur, once they got there they could hear a soft sound of someone whining. Keeping there guard up there slowly made their way towards it. Sitting in a cage handing over the edge of the runes. Haldir quickly made his way over to her, as did the rest of the legion, most keeping watch and searching Dol Guldur as some was helping Haldir to get the frightened elfling that was supposed to be with her father by now. When they had the cage on the safety of the ground, they began to work on opening it so they could get her to safety.

As they opened the cage they could hear the sound of swords clashing, splatter of blood and cries of war. When Haldir had the elfling in his arms he told the legion to fall back and return to Lothlórien. Y/n didn't let go of Haldir the entire way back.

As they got to the gates of Lothlórien, stood they waiting was Legolas. When he saw y/n in Haldir's arms he thanked him and grabbed her from his arms and held her tightly to his chest.

That night as Legolas was leaving to go back to Mirkwood with y/n and the company they came with. Y/ n was going to fall asleep in her father's arms, but when she saw Haldir, she wiggles her way out of them and ran over to him and jumping into him with her arms around his neck. Caught off guard he fell onto the floor with one of his arms around her and the other catching himself. Legolas laughed then walked over and picked her up of Haldir and back into his arms with a tight grip on her, not tight enough to hurt her.

"Thank you for looking after me Haldir." Y/n said as she smiled at him.

"It was my honour to princess." He told her after he chuckled.

They said there goodbyes and when Legolas set off with their company, y/n was already asleep snuggled up to his cheats with a blanket wrapped around her.

Haldir had a fond smiled on his face as he watched his dear friend and the cheerful princess on the journey back to their kingdom, their home.