Chapter 1

Fear.

An unpleasant emotion caused by the threat of danger, pain or harm. To be afraid of something or someone as likely to be dangerous, painful or harmful.

Living in Dauntless meant that you lived a carefree, wild, daring life without this so called emotion: fear. We jump off trains, we climb the highest buildings in the city, we live life on the edge. Everyone in our city looks up to us. We're their protectors, shielding the city from fear.

It was extremely unfortunate this shield of protection couldn't stop the fear creeping its way into my life.

***

The wind whipped at my hair, the teal ends of my light brown locks dancing across my face and into my eyes. My hand pulled back at the strands, tucking them behind my ears. I found a strange comfort in seating myself right at the edge of the train so that my legs dangled outside the carriage. It was my spot on the train, the only end where I felt completely safe. It was extremely ironic, seeing as I could hurtle to my death if I were to inch myself forward by the slightest. The others said I was way too reckless sometimes, because of the dangerous things I found way too entertaining. They said they admired me too, that my braveness showed I was a true Dauntless. I liked to believe it, to mask the storm of negative emotions raging inside of me.

"Enjoying yourself?" AJ asked me, taking a seat beside me with his limbs inside the carriage. I chuckled lightly at my twin brother's actions, observing him scoot away from the edge of the carriage.

"As always," I sighed, closing my eyes. "To think we have our Aptitude Test tomorrow seems quite unrealistic, doesn't it?"

"I guess so." AJ said, considering the fact. "Mum would be proud."

A bitter taste diffused through my mouth. Mum would be proud. It was as unrealistic as getting Amity as my aptitude result. "Don't." I spat unappreciatively.

"Whatever," AJ rolled his eyes. "You've got to let it go someday."

"If letting go means-"

"Don't start that bullshit again." AJ rolled his eyes.

"What bullshit? As we all know, Uriah's the one who makes up the bullshit around here," I joked, sending a playful glare in the direction of the dark skinned boy. Uriah turned away from his group of Dauntless boys to return the jokey look. A few Dauntless on the train laughed, looking between the two of us.

"The only bullshit here is the load coming out of your mouth, Piper Jones." Uriah smirked.

"There is an example of the common bullshit Uriah Pedrad produces," I said, mimicking the expression of the stuck up Erudites.

"Enough bullshit, it's time to get off." Lynn stepped in, folding her arms. I smiled at the girl, who lifted me up by my arm.

The train gradually slowed down so it was safe enough to jump off onto the grass beneath. Suddenly, random streaks of black shot out of the train, curling up into balls and rolling as they hit the green beneath. People in my carriage began to launch theirselves off the metal surface. I jumped off after Lynn, feeling the air disperse around me. I rolled across the ground and lifted myself effortlessly. However, I managed to collide with a stray passerby.

We both grunted, the concrete beneath me grazing my palms and bare knees revealed by my ripped skinny jeans. The body below me stirred and hissed rudely. "What the hell do you think you're doing?"

I opened my eyes to see piercing green ones burning into my blue orbs. I studied the boy's face, taking in his appearance. He was a Candor, one of those truth seeking maniacs that were too honest for their own good. I scowled, gathering myself up. "What the hell were you doing? Did you not notice us jumping out the train? Or are you blind?"

"I did notice you Adrenaline Junkies actually, but I didn't see you coming at me!" He retaliated, standing up.

"So you are blind," I muttered.

"No, I just didn't see Miss Midget rolling out of nowhere." He growled. My eyes narrowed at his judgment. I'm 5"4, and this idiot was at least 6"1. Instead of coming up with a snarky comeback, I walked away from the Candor toward the crowd of Dauntless waiting by the school doors.

"I'll see ya round, smart-mouth."

I hope you all liked the first chapter!