Chapter 49

Hey guys! I hope you're enjoying the book. I've had so much homework and luckily I've finished it all so I could update. Please comment, vote and follow me! ❤️

Uriah runs into the room with Christina behind him looking like they've just had the time of their lives. "What's with you two?" I raise my eyebrows, shuffling back on my bed to make space for the both of them.

"You know how Zoe was going on about air travel?" Uriah reminds me. I nod. "We tried it out and it was amazing."

"No way! And you two didn't tell me because?" I frown.

"We were looking for you, but we couldn't find you." Christina says. I was with Matt and Nita, probably.

"Shit," I sigh. "I was getting my genes tested by this guy named Matthew."

"What did he say?" Christina looks interested. "Divergents have fully healed genes, don't they?" I nod. "You know, now I kinda wish I was Divergent. Knowing my genes are damaged make me feel damaged as a whole."

"Hey," I say, "it doesn't affect you as a person, you'll still always be the same Christina, healed genes or not." Christina smiles, though I don't think I've fully assured her.

"Enough about genes, that airplane ride was epic!" Uriah shouts. "I'd love to experience what it's like jumping out of an airplane."

"I'm pretty sure they have technology or something like that to do so," Christina laughs.

"Count me in!" Uriah whoops. I roll my eyes, however I'm pleased he's happy.

During dinner I head out to see David or Amar in need for answers about my mother. It doesn't take me long to find Amar by the structure I passed yesterday with the man he was comforting earlier - George. "Er, hey, Amar?" Amar looks to me and gives me a small smile. "I think you knew my mother - Ariel?"

"Wait, you're Ariel's daughter?" George raises his eyebrows. "Wow... I'm George." I don't say I know who he is. I merely shake his hand and introduce myself.

"I'm Piper. Mum died a few years ago and it was only recently I was told by my stepdad that she was from out here and she wanted to come back... you know everything, don't you?"

"Yeah, she was a good friend, Ariel was," Amar nods. "She also had a son... Adam, was it?"

"Named after my stepdad, yeah. We call him AJ though. He's back in the city," I say. "I don't think you'd know, but... do you have any info on my real dad? Not Adam, but the guy my mother had an affair with? It's odd I know, but Adam won't tell me anything."

"I'll take you to David, he'll be able to bring up a few files about your mother and father, hopefully," Amar beckons me to follow him. He walks ahead while George and I trail a few feet behind.

"You look a lot like Ariel," George says. "She was one of my best friends. I left before she passed... I'm so sorry."

"It's okay, I guess I've gotten used to it now, haven't I?" I shrug, giving George a small smile. "I'm sorry too, about Tori. I heard she was your sister."

"I'll be okay," George tells me confidently. For the rest of the way I keep my head down until we reach the door to David's office. Amar knocks and then opens the door. The walls of David's office are lined with bookshelves filled to the brim with books. All space unoccupied with bookcases are instead glass windows allowing sunlight to pour through. On the left sits David's desk, computer screens the only things visible upon his desk. On the right is David's mini laboratory with wooden furnishings instead of heavy metal ones. Amar and George are speaking to David by his desk. They all look at me and smile. I walk over slowly, anxiousness eating away at my brain.