Chapter 4

"Time to jump," one of the Dauntless on the carriage told us bluntly. I stood up instantly, grabbing the railing. A smile curved my lips, the familiar feeling of pulsing adrenaline coursing through my veins.

"Jump?" One of the transfers gulped. I turned my head to see and Amity boy with vibrant orange hair stumble back.

"Yes, jump," AJ (who I didn't realise was in this carriage) informed him. "Get ready..."

I leaned out the carriage, swinging my body back and forth. The roof of the Dauntless compound was coming closer into focus. When the front of the train neared the roof I saw streaks of black fly through the air and tumble upon the gravel surface. I giggled, shouting into the carriage. "Prepare yourselves, it's a pretty big gap!"

My words frightened the transfer initiates. They shared looks of distress and fright. "Come on AJ, I'll go first." I told my twin. He nodded, standing back. I shuffled to the back of the train and ran forward, jumping through the air with my legs tucked up high. I hit the gravel, rolling upon it a few times before standing up. AJ landed beside me, laughing.

"That was epic," he yelled. I spotted Marlene standing alone a few feet away. She ran up to me, embracing me in one of her tight hugs.

"I'm so glad we both stayed! I couldn't imagine spending the rest of my life without you," Marlene told me.

"Aw, you're so cheesy Marlene, but you're right, life would suck without you here." We both walked to where Max, the Dauntless leader stood. His eyes were cold and dark face extremely stern. He was staring at something behind the crowd of initiates gathering in front of him. We all turned to see Rita, one of the Dauntless-borns, standing on the ledge of the roof crying. AJ was consoling her, bringing her from the edge. Two other Dauntless girls took over AJ's position of looking after Rita.

AJ came over to me and Marlene. "Rita's sister fell..."

"That's awful," I gasped. I only ever spoke to Rita's sister a few times. She was a sweet girl, and her death was shocking. It didn't affect me too much, however it still was a loss.

All the initiated gathered in front of Max to listen to him speak. "Listen up! My name is Max and I am one of the leaders of your new faction!" He walked up the ledge, his hands held behind his back. He had creases in his skin and greying hair. He seemed to be nearing his late middle ages. There weren't many elderly people in Dauntless. Once you grew old you had the choice of death or becoming factionless. "Several stories below us is the members' entrance to our compound. If you can't muster the will to jump off, you don't belong here. Our initiates have the privilege of going first."

"Wait - you want us to jump off a ledge?" An Erudite girl questions. Marlene and I share an amused look. What else does she think we're going to do?

"Yes," Max simply replies with patience and the same amusement Marlene and I feel.

"Is there water at the bottom or something?" She asks again. These know-it-alls and their questions! You join Dauntless, you leave behind your old faction.

"Who knows?" Max clap his hands together. "Who's going first?"

No one dared to move. I would go first, but over the top recklessness can have serious consequences. Instead, the same small Abnegation girl who almost missed the train volunteers. We clear a path for her to walk up the ledge to. She feebly lifts herself up, the grey materials she has clinging to her thin frame threatening to drag her down. Her hands move to her large shirt, which she unbuttons. The thin fabric is thrown in the direction of Peter, smacking him hard in the chest. A few people around me catcall and make unnecessary sound effects. The Stiff is left in a tight grey t-shirt and long skirt.