Chapter 25

AJ tells me that an Erudite girl who arrived with the Dauntless traitors disobeyed orders to go to the second floor and instead went to one of the highest floors in the compound and evacuated a group of loyal Dauntless he was a part of. The loyal Dauntless then split into four groups and charged down the staircase, all the way to the elevator bank. The Erudite girl was called Cara. She is Will's sister.

"What's that on your shoulder?" AJ asks me. I turn my head to where he's pointing and notice a metal disk the size of my tiniest fingernail embedded into my right shoulder. Blue strands branch off from the disk under my skin. This disk must have injected me with some sort of dye - or serum knowing the Erudite.

"I'll help you get that out." A voice beside me says. Marlene is standing beside me, smiling. I move up and allow her to sit beside me. She takes out a knife and pushes the blade under the disk. Rapidly, Marlene pulls the disk out. I yelp, placing a hand over the puncture in my skin. Marlene pushes my hand off my shoulder and places a white plaster over the hole. "All better." She pats my shoulder.

"Thanks, Mar." I beam.

"I'm sorry about earlier." She whispers. I shake my head which silences Marlene.

"I'm okay." I tell her.

"You can talk to me," Marlene says, her eyes boring into mine. I break eye contact and stare at my lap. Marlene's quite good at expression reading, ever since we were young. I once made the accusation that Marlene was telepathic which made Lynn speculate she was Divergent with 'mind control powers'. Lynn no longer believes in Divergence.

"It doesn't matter."

***

"They're disgusting, the both of them." Lynn sneered at Marlene, who had just abandoned explaining how fear simulations work to Caleb (who arrived not long ago with Marcus), as she ran up to Uriah, sitting a few seats away from us. Lynn stands up and walks away. I follow her with a bowl of ice cream (a Candor treat) in hand. Greedily, I eat the creamy goodness while running after Lynn.

"Lynn!" I yell. "Slow down, I'm eating!" She whips around and rolls her honey brown eyes.

"I wonder why you aren't the size of the Hub, you greedy pig," she scoffs. I glare at her as I finally catch up. We continue walking down the corridor, all the way to the elevators and up them. We reach the eighteenth floor and walk to the amphitheatre.

"There's a ledge up there, it's got a nice view." I nod to the arch above the benches. Lynn strides up the stairs, and I run to keep up. She's already sitting on the ledge and looking down to the pavement below. When I reach the ledge I but my bowl of ice cream up first, next to Lynn. "Look after the ice cream, I'm coming up!" I tell Lynn as I swing myself up and lay flat on the stone. Just as I'm shuffling myself next to Lynn I feel my leg hit a ceramic bowl. My precious bowl of ice cream falls off the ledge and down eighteen storeys, shattering upon the pavement. "Well shit." I sigh.

"That's another 'love of your life' gone," Lynn snorts, "how do you feel?"

"Please don't," I roll my eyes. "I've already had Uriah and Marlene piss me off about my love life."

"Let me guess," Lynn taps her chin. "Uriah did most of the damage and Marlene tried to apologise for his actions."

"Yup," I say. "I'm still annoyed though, but I have to get over myself."

"I overheard Uri and Mar saying they wanted to set me up with AJ." Lynn muttered.

"Oh." I press my lips together and face Lynn. "What did you do?"