Chapter 51

This is my last update until Friday so like, vote and follow me!❤️

Uriah is there to comfort me when I'm on the verge of breaking down. Only a few seconds after Peter left, Uriah dashed in and came up to me, pulling me into his side for a comforting hug. He probably was listening in. I didn't ask, however, because I couldn't speak. I'm so shocked. After all Peter's said to try and get me back... he's gone. I know I messed up. I'm such a fool.

"I'm sorry, Piper," Uriah whispers. "You were right." I shake my head. Uriah isn't the one to blame. I am. I made everything worse and this is what happens when you delay the truth. People get hurt. I've learnt a lesson from this: always try and find a place in your heart for forgiveness. Stubbornness doesn't get you anywhere. I hug Uriah a little tighter, closing my eyes and mentally kicking myself.

"I don't deserve anything," I manage croak out without my voice breaking or sobbing.

"Don't say that." Uriah snaps. "Everyone happens to make mistakes and something terrible happens to them. You'll get over it one day, and you'll be happy again. We all will." I pull myself away from Uriah, giving him a small smile.

"Thanks," I say.

"I'm meant to be here for you, aren't I?" He chuckles. "Go and get some rest or something, you look awful."

"You're so sweet." I deadpan, rolling my eyes. Uriah laughs and stands up, yanking me up with him. "I'll see you later, Uri."

"Bye, P." He brings me in for a short hug and then let's me go. After he's gone I change into more comfortable clothes and head to bed.

***

I slept through the whole night and woke up at six. Carefully, I tiptoe to Uriah's bed and check for a flask or some form of drink bottle to show he's broken his promise. There isn't anything there. Smiling, I head to the showers with my clothes and take a long, warm shower. When I'm dry and my hair is twisted in another towel to dry, I change into a pair of black leggings and a white and blue cropped t-shirt. On my feet I wear my combat boots, as usual. When I enter the room again I see Peter is up. I don't let my eyes linger upon him. Instead I dash to my bed and pull out my screen to read another few paragraphs while my hair dries.

My second year felt so normal, as if I'd inhabited that place since birth. The Bureau and the Fringe were past memories. I even forget the purpose of why I had been sent into the city. Only sometimes it would hit me, but it would have been brushed off because of the amount of action I was involved in daily. I'd go around playing dare with the other Dauntless, scale tall structures, do the most stupidest things and get pierced and tattooed. My first tattoo was of a fire, a small flame on the back of my neck. I believe I was strong, like fire, and would grow stronger, like fire, and it would take a whole load of effort to put me down.

I remember this tattoo that my mother had. She had a few more, but she told me that this specific one was her first and favourite.

I don't remember too much from my time up until the Choosing Ceremony, but I do remember the times I'd pick on the Erudite my age at school with the other Dauntless. It was only for a laugh, but I did feel bad sometimes. I'd get a reaction, however there was one person that would not at all show any sign of annoyance, anger or frustration. I wanted a reaction, though I don't know why he wasn't giving me one. You could have mistaken him for an Amity, to be honest. He'd just stare at me, his dark blue eyes striking. I felt a slight interest towards him, even though I didn't know his name at the time. When we were about fifteen, after a few years of taunting, he came up to me during a science lesson. I remember the exact conversation:

"Why?" He whispered.

"Why what?" I gave him a weird look, as though I didn't know what he was talking about.

"Why waste your time tormenting 'a bunch of noses'? Haven't you got a building to jump off of?" I raised my eyebrows at this. Not because I was offended, but because of the fact he finally gave me a reaction.

"So I've finally gotten a reaction from you?" I laughed.

"Is that what you've been wanting for all these years? Pathetic." He rolled his eyes.

"No! I'm just saying you've stayed quiet," I felt myself blush with embarrassment. "But you did have the guts to come up to me today like that. I'm Ariel." I put my hand out for him to shake. He took it and shook my hand softly, like he was going to break it if he held on any harder.

"I'm Adam."

I stopped reading immediately, clicking the screen off. That's how they met. Adam did tell me about this, but reading it from my mother's point of view is even more shocking. This boy she met with the striking blue eyes ended up killing her. My hands shake so terribly that screen is so close the clattering upon the floor. Carefully, I slip it under my pillow and pull the towel from my hair, heading to the bathroom to set it in the wash basket. When I leave the bathroom I instantly meet eyes with Peter, who stands right in front of me. I don't let the contact last for more than a second.

"Sorry," I say, my voice barely a whisper. Hastily, I slip past him and instantly head towards the dormitory. I'm such a coward, I can't even face him, I think to myself. Uriah is sitting upon his bed, ruffling through a few piles of clothes.

"Hey, Piper," he says as he stand up. "Not going to see your boyfriend?" Obviously, he's referring to Matthew.

"Shut up, Uriah." I roll my eyes, hitting his stomach. "Let's go to the control rooms, I want to keep an eye on AJ."

"What happened that day then, when you watched him and Adam?" Uriah asks as we exit the room and down the hallway.

"Adam told AJ what he told me about my mother. AJ was pretty angry, and then the conversation somehow turned into AJ confessing how he doesn't hate me and that he misses me and stuff," I answer vaguely.

"He could never hate you," Uriah smiles.

"Who could?" I joke. "I'm amazing."

"Okay, don't get too cocky," Uriah rolls his eyes.

"It's not being cocky," I say, "it's called self confidence."

"You can tell your egoistic, bitchy self that," Uriah mutters. I scoff, faking hurt, and walk away from Uriah.

"Rude!" I call back at him. He steps forwards and grabs my arm, laughing.

"I'm joking," he tells me. "You're not a bitch. Or egoistic."

"I know."

"I take it back."

"I hate you."

"Same." We both laugh and head out of the tunnel connecting the hotel to the airport. We walk towards the stone structure and then see Tris running with Matthew a few feet away from us towards the security checkpoint. I nudge Uriah and point to the pair. I then take a few steps forward and call out Tris' name. She looks at the two of us and smiles a little. Uriah lifts a hand up to wave.

But something explodes.

And all goes black.