Chapter 12

Sarah had a strange feeling that somebody was staring at her. She turned around in her seat, but couldn't see anything. They were in a heavily wooded area at the moment and the trees grew in a thick overhang over the road, casting the area in a sheet of darkness. She turned forward again. "Are we almost there?" 

"Yeah, we're getting pretty close now," Bobby said. "We're pretty much on the outskirts of the prophet's sector right now. Once we get out of these woods we'll be more in the heart of it." 

"That's good," she said. "I have a nervous feeling like we're being watched." 

"Some of the trees have eyes, as you know by now I guess." 

"Do you think we'll run into any more hostile trees?" Sarah asked. 

"Nah, that's pretty rare in the city. Most of the vegetation doesn't even talk, but some of it does. Depends on the species, I guess. Some of the plants are bloodsuckers, but most of them are more or less harmless. Outside the city is another matter. The Black Jungle's a pretty scary place. Never been there myself, but I hear almost everything's dangerous there." 

Sarah thought she saw something move off in the shadows to the side. "Did you see that?"  

"See what?" 

"I think there's something out there. This place is kind of creepy. I hate not being able to see the sky." 

"Don't worry," Bobby said. "I'm sure we're all alone." 

At that moment a large figure in a dark cloak stepped out into the road in front of them, blocking their way. "And just where do you think you're going?" 

Bobby gave a little jump of surprise and came to an abrupt stop. It was too dark to get a good look at the figure's face but it was similar in size and stature to Bobby and the ominous looking cloak made for a rather imposing presence. "We're headed to the prophet's sector," he replied boldly. 

The figure stood in silence for a moment. "And who is it that you seek?" 

"We are in search of the one known as Skip," Bobby said. "Do you know of his whereabouts?" 

"Perhaps. What business have you with this Skip?" 

"Uh, I don't know." He turned to Sarah. "Why are we visiting Skip anyway?" 

"I'm hoping he can help us find my uncle, Dr. Octavius." She couldn't help but feel a little nervous in the presence of this dark stranger. 

"What makes you think Skip can help you locate this uncle of yours?" 

"Well, we were told he was the best prophet in town." 

"No, no, you've got it all wrong. Skip's a hack. He does everything ass-backwards for crying out loud! You don't want that guy. Allow me to introduce myself. I'm Honest Steve. I'm the best fortune-teller there's ever been or ever will be. And I should know, because I can see the future! I read palms, tealeaves, tarot cards, you name it. I've even got a real nifty crystal ball! And did I mention I offer the most reasonable rates in town?" 

Sarah relaxed a bit and felt the tension had disappeared from the situation. This guy didn't seem so threatening anymore. He came across like a used car salesman. "Thank you very much, but I think we'll stick with Skip. Come on Bobby, let's be on our way." 

"Now hold on just a minute here. I'll give you a free donut if you use my services. Skip doesn't offer that kind of service. So can I sign you up for a reading? My tent's just a short distance away." 

"That's very kind of you, but we won't be requiring your services today." 

"All right, all right, you've twisted my arm." An air of desperation was entering Honest Steve's voice. "If you come with me now, I'll give you the first reading for free, the donut, and I'll even toss in a Hawaiian Shirt with my likeness on it. Now come on, it doesn't get any better than that!"