Chapter 40

Zeke blinked his eyes groggily and looked around. Evidently he had gotten drunk and passed out on the sofa again while watching TV. 

He glanced at the clock and noticed it was approaching 5PM. "Shit, overslept again!" He threw on some clothes and ran out the door. 

Six months had passed since he left Quartzwater City and sadly, he found himself stuck in the same old rut he'd been in before the whole thing had happened.  

Dr. Octavius still hadn't figured out how to rig up another doorway back to the city and Zeke found himself regretting his decision to return to Earth every day. He desperately wanted to fulfill his promise to his jungle princess and also get drunk with Max, but instead found himself continuing to perform humiliating acts for Dr. Octavius. Despite everything that had happened, nothing seemed to have changed. 

As he approached the entrance he encountered Sarah walking out. "Oh, hey, how's it going?" he asked. 

"Pretty good," Sarah replied. "How are you?" 

"I'm good," Zeke lied. Truthfully, he doubted he'd ever see his jungle princess again and he cursed himself every day for not taking Sarah up on her offer to go for a drink. The problem was, she had a new boyfriend now. "So how are you and Maurice doing?" he asked. 

"Honestly?" Sarah asked. "Unbelievably great! I never knew love could be like this. He's sweet, he's kind, he's funny, he doesn't cheat on me. And he's way better in the sack than Vance ever was. It's weird, I guess I just have a 'thing' for lab assistants now. So how are you and your jungle princess doing?" 

"Not good," Zeke admitted. "It's hard to get the romance going when you live in different dimensions." 

"I'm sorry," Sarah patted him on the back sympathetically. "I'm sure my uncle will figure out how to get back to Quartzwater City eventually." 

"Yeah," Zeke said looking down at his feet. 

"Anyway, I've got to go now," she said. "Maurice and I are going to go canoeing. And he's going to play a song he wrote for me. Isn't that romantic?" 

"Yeah, sure," Zeke said, thinking about the numerous poems he'd written for her over the years but never shown her. "Well, have fun. I've gotta go to work." 

She gave him a brief hug and then went on her way. 

Zeke arrived at the lab a few minutes later in a rather depressed mood. 

"Ah, there you are, son," Dr. Octavius said looking up from his work. "A little late today, aren't we?"  

"Yeah, I kind of overslept," Zeke grunted. 

"Well, no matter," Dr. Octavius replied cheerfully. "We're not going to be working on the doorway problem today." 

"We're not?" Zeke replied unenthusiastically. 

"No. Quartzwater City is all well and good, but I have new, even more exciting projects to work on! Now, you see this pig here? I just need you to stick your finger up its anus!" 

"Yes sir," Zeke sighed dejectedly as he obeyed the task assigned to him. 

Suddenly there was a loud rumbling sound outside and the entire room began to shake. The lights blinked off and on and then silence was restored. 

"Damn kids," Dr. Octavius grumbled. "Now anyway, wedge your finger up there firmer and tighter if you could, please." 

"All right," Zeke groaned and wrinkled his nose in disgust. 

Suddenly the rumbling sound returned louder and even more intense. 

"For the love of god!" Dr. Octavius shouted, throwing his goggles on the floor in disgust. "Would you kindly go outside and see what's causing that infernal racket?" 

"Yes sir," Zeke said as he retracted his index finger and stepped outside. 

The night was clear and brisk and surprisingly quiet despite the recent disturbances. The moon was absent so numerous stars shone brightly in the sky overhead. "Hello? Anyone there?" 

He was greeted by absolute silence. Zeke let out a sigh and stared off into the cosmos.  

Suddenly the rumbling sound returned and an intense bright light filled the sky. Zeke gazed up in awe at what could only be described as a flying saucer. A concentrated beam of light pointed down at him and before he knew what was happening he was rising into the air. He disappeared into the confines of the saucer, which suddenly bolted upwards into the outer regions of the galaxy.

THE END