Chapter 13

They made their way to Skip's cottage after navigating their way through some twisting streets, lined with street side gypsies, fortune tellers, and crazy people standing on boxes screaming prophecies. Sarah's sneezing and hiccupping had begun to lighten up considerably along the way, although the occasional tickle still bothered her.  

"Here we are," Max announced. It was barely more than a small hovel and was dwarfed by the bright blue city wall behind it. "This is the very eastern most edge of the city. Beyond that lies nothing but miles and miles of dangerous jungle. Lots of barbarians and nasty monsters lurk there. That's why they built the wall." 

"I see," Zeke said. "Well, shall we knock?" 

"No reason to really," Max replied. "Skip already knows we're here. In fact, from his perspective, we just left. Just remember what I told you about asking him questions after he gives you the answer and you'll be fine." He opened the door and stepped boldly in. Sarah and Zeke exchanged glances and followed after him. 

The interior was small and somewhat cluttered, although sparsely furnished. An unmade bed situated in the corner and a desk propped against the wall seemed to be the major items of note. There were a couple of small wooden chairs as well. Skip turned out to look somewhat like a pink muskrat with a long gray beard and flowing red robes decorated with a palm tree imprint. He was standing in the entrance of the room as they walked in and immediately shook hands with each of them. 

"See you later, Skip," Max said. 

"It was nice to see you again Max," Skip announced. "Zeke, Sarah, I must be meeting you for the first time. It's a pity. I guess that means I won't be seeing you again. But it was nice to make your acquaintance. Good luck." 

"These are my friends Zeke and Sarah," Max said. "I know you've already met them, but they haven't met you yet." 

"Nice to meet you," Sarah and Zeke said as they shook his hand. 

Skip walked backwards to his desk and took a seat nearby. Max prompted Sarah and Zeke to sit in the remaining chairs and he sat on the edge of the bed. 

"Ah, you must have just gotten here," Skip smiled. "Very well, I'll walk you to the door. Anyway yes, I have heard some news of your uncle. I understand he gave quite the stirring speech at the toenail convention. Trevor Mastodon was quite angry. I guess he caused some trouble. I wish I could have been there but I was busy attending to other matters." 

Sarah felt a little weird, but kept Max's advice in mind about following up answers with questions. "We're here because we're looking for my uncle, Dr. Octavius. Have you heard anything about his whereabouts?" 

"I know this is strange for you," Skip said kindly. "For you the speech has not occurred yet. I am referring of course to my past, and your future." 

"I'm a little confused," Sarah admitted. "Has my uncle already given this speech?" 

Skip picked up an empty teacup and put it to his lips. He appeared to spit out a dark brown liquid and then set it back down. "I'm not aware of his location right at this moment, but I did hear his room at the Galloping Centipede was just a smokescreen to throw Trevor Mastodon off the tracks." 

"Let's just cut to the chase," Max said. "Do you know Octavius' current whereabouts?" 

Zeke had been watching the proceedings quietly up to this point and was admittedly having a difficult time following exactly what was going on. He was also confused by how Max and Sarah knew the answers were directed at them when they hadn't even asked the questions yet. He thought maybe he should test the waters out for himself.