Chapter 16

They managed to round up Bobby and left the club. Timmy had evidently been off in a back room getting a lap dance from the cocker spaniel so they left him to fend for himself. 

As they were walking out the door Sarah felt a strange tingling sensation all over her skin. She looked down to see that she was covered from head to toe in thick, coarse, gray hair. She felt her nose start to elongate and then she sprouted whiskers and her front teeth grew long and sharp. A wiggling motion in her rear alerted her to the fact that she had also grown a long pink tail. 

"Ah, nothing like a good night at a strip club, eh Bobby old chap?" Max said as he cracked his knuckles and took a deep breath of fresh air. "Not to mention a good strong alcohol buzz." 

"Yeah, that was pretty cool," Bobby said as he unlocked his rickshaw. 

"There now, that wasn't so bad, was it Sarah?" Max asked as he turned around. "Holy mother of god! Look at that horrible giant rat! Kill it!" Searching around he noticed a big stick lying on the ground nearby. He scooped it up and began swatting at the oversized rodent. 

"Hey cut that out! It's me, Sarah!" Her voice came out in a wheezy croak. 

Max stopped swinging the stick and looked at her funny. "I don't know what kind of weird shit you're trying to pull here buddy, but you'd better tell us what you did with Sarah or I'm going to have to bust out some ninjitsu on your ass." 

"But I am Sarah," she squeaked. "Honest!" 

"If you're really Sarah, tell me, what is the purpose of our investigation?" Max interrogated her. 

"We're looking for my uncle, Dr. Octavius. Zeke was with us until he got captured by barbarians and Vance is back at the hotel. Look, I really am Sarah. That stupid fortune teller gave me a donut that he said would make me turn into a rat sometimes." 

"Aha!" Max shouted. "You've done your research well, but now I've caught you in your lie, rodent! I happen to know for a fact that Skip never offered Sarah a donut!" 

"Not Skip," Sarah sighed. "It was that other one. Honest Stan or something like that. You remember, don't you Bobby? Remember how I was sneezing and hiccupping? That was his fault, too." 

"Yeah, there was another fortune teller," Bobby confirmed. "And she did start sneezing and hiccupping right after that. I can vouch for that. I think she's telling the truth." 

"Hmm..." Max muttered. "Very well, I'll take your word for it. In the meantime, Bobby, have you ever heard of the cloud factory?" 

"Um, yeah. We were just in there." 

"No, not that one! I mean the place where they manufacture clouds." 

"Oh, uh, yeah. I guess I have heard something about that. It's up north somewhere. I'm sure I could find it." 

"Good! We'll be requiring your services first thing tomorrow morning. It apparently lies outside of city limits, so there won't be a Roto-Bus that goes there." 

"And I wouldn't want to take it anyway," Sarah said firmly. "I hate those things." 

"Well you're going to have to take one tonight, unless you want to walk," Bobby said. "I'm officially closed for business for the day. I need to go home and get some shut eye." 

"The hotel's a long walk from here," Max said. "I suggest you join me on the Roto-Bus." 

"All right, fine," she sighed. "But if I throw up I'll be sure to aim in your direction."

* * *

They had to change busses a few times along the way, but made it back to the Galloping Centipede about thirty minutes later. Despite numerous threats, Sarah managed to refrain from getting sick. 

As they wandered down the hallway towards their room they heard a loud deep-pitched squawking noise that sounded like a very large cat was having its tail stepped upon. 

"What the hell is that?" Max asked covering his ears. 

"I don't know," Sarah stroked her whiskers. "It seems to be coming from our room." 

She opened the door cautiously and peered in. Vance was seated on the edge of the bed blowing into a tuba. She pushed the door further open and walked in. 

Vance whirled around and let out a little yelp. "What manner of foul beast intrudes upon my domicile?" 

"Vance, honey, it's me Sarah! Look, it's a long story and I don't want to go into it right now but I'm temporarily a rat." 

"Verily, I can discern that. Dost thou think me blind?" 

"I just wanted to let you know it was me," she explained. "What are you doing anyway?" 

"Hast thy changes in physical form made thee also dim? For lo, it should be apparent that I am practicing my tuba!" 

"I see," Sarah said, too tired to process this information at the moment. "Is it okay if Max sleeps here tonight?" 

"Aye, but 'tis the floor with him. For that matter thy new look pleases me not. The floor it is for thee, as well. I shall take my repose in the bed in isolation and solitude." 

"Come on, there's room for two in that bed," Sarah said. "I may look different, but I'm still the same person." 

"I am regretful, but indeed, I smell a rat. Literally. Now take thy rest on the floor or vacate the premises!" 

"Well, I never," Sarah huffed. "Come on, Max let's curl up on the floor." 

"See?" Max said as he stretched out on the carpet. "I knew you'd give in and sleep with me eventually! Of course I wasn't counting on you looking like a rat when it happened, but hey, it still beats sleeping with my wife. Good night, Sarah." 

"Good night, Max. Good night, Vance my love." 

Vance snored loudly in response.