Chapter 30

Zeke opened his eyes and stretched his arms above his head. He had a mild hangover but felt relatively well. It appeared he had passed out in the corner of the bandits' hideout. 

Michelangelo had been extremely pleased when Zeke returned with the Gravity ball trophy. A brief, but solemn ritual had been performed inducting Zeke into the guild, and then somebody had wheeled out a huge barrel of alcohol, whereupon a massive party ensued. Zeke remembered talking to Daedalus and Michelangelo for awhile, as well as flirting with a few pretty women, but he couldn't remember how the night had ended. 

"Ah, you're awake, wild man," Michelangelo's voice cut through the silence. 

"Uh, yeah, I guess I am," Zeke stretched again and yawned. "What happened?" 

"You just tore up the party! I've never seen anything like that. Dancing on the table, swinging from the rafters... You're a party god, Zeke! You even pulled the classic lampshade on the head maneuver, which was particularly amazing since we don't have any lamps in this joint." 

"What can I say?" Zeke shrugged sheepishly. "I try to do my best to liven up every occasion. Was I really dancing on the table?" 

"You sure were! That was truly an MVP performance. So what are your plans for today? Now that you're a member of the guild you're free to be on your way." 

"I'm not really sure," Zeke said as he yawned again. "I guess I should head back to the Galloping Centipede and see if I can meet up with Sarah again. Do you know how to get there?" 

"Zeke, son, we bandits have secret tunnels all over this city. One of them happens to lead straight to the lobby of the Galloping Centipede. Lots of rich folk stay there and we feel the need to rob them from time to time. If you want I'll have Daedalus guide you there." 

"Gee, thanks, Michelangelo. You're a pretty cool monkey. I'm sorry for locking you up in that cage all the time." 

"Don't worry about it, buddy," Michelangelo shook hands with him. "You're one of the brethren now. We take care of our own. If Trevor Mastodon or anyone else gives you any trouble, just let us know and we'll take care of it. In return we may need you to pull a few jobs from time to time, but that goes with the territory when you're a bandit." 

"You can count on me, sir," Zeke gave a little salute. "By the way, do you have any aspirin by chance?"

* * *

Before too long Zeke was walking with Daedalus through a dank dimly lit cavern. "How are you feeling today, champ?" Daedalus asked. "You put on quite the show at the party last night." 

"So I hear," Zeke said. "I wish I could remember more of it." 

"It was one for the ages, my friend. Honestly, I thought you were going to score with Hilda. You had it in the bag until the end, when you took it upon yourself to name her breasts. I think that's where you lost her." 

"Who's Hilda?" Zeke crinkled his nose. "I don't remember that at all." 

"Yeah? Well, maybe it's for the best. Listen, Zeke, we're almost there. The lobby of the hotel lies just behind that door over there. Anyway, it's been a pleasure. Thanks again for helping me out of that jungle." 

"Hey, no sweat," Zeke shook hands with him. "I ain't afraid of no jungles. Anyway, if you want maybe we could hit a bar sometime." 

"Sounds good," Daedalus said. "I've got some work to do for now, so I'll see you later." With that Daedalus darted off into the darkness. 

"Well, I suppose I'd best be on my way," Zeke said to himself as he pried open the door. "I wonder if Sarah's missed me." 

The doorway opened up behind a large potted fern that concealed it from view. Zeke was surprised to find the lobby was completely empty as it was usually bustling with activity of some sort. Even the front desk was unmanned.