༄ོ⠀|⠀Day 06

• • •⠀ཀཫ⠀• • •

⠀⠀⠀"Yuu-chan, do you remember how to fly?" Mikaela questioned out of no where, a mug of warm coffee in his hands as he scanned over an old flap of newspaper from a week ago, chuckling softly at comic strips and aweing at stories.

⠀⠀⠀Yuichiro never thought he would hear those words in his lifetime. For as long as he could remember, being in the chambers and all, he was told he would never fly again, would never feel the serene sensation of wind beneath his wings or the breezes flowing through his hair, would never feel as though he were the ruler of the skies. But now that he was taken away from that hellish place, perhaps those very words could be forgotten and tossed away, for it no longer held meaning. Not when Mikaela was here with him. But he still could not get the words to form, his mind racing with thoughts as he thinks of whether he does. It shouldn't be that difficult, he tells himself, it hasn't been that long.

⠀⠀⠀It's only been over seven years, that's all.

⠀⠀⠀With a hazy memory and a fallen heart, the raven shakes his head. "I don't think so. It's been far too long since I have ever actually soared the skies. Daily, the men in the chambers would remind us that we would never fly again, always restraining our wings unless we were on display," He pauses for a short moment. "I guess that makes my wings useless, huh?" Physically, his chest is aching as the word useless leaves his lips like he's used it more than once, and his eyes cast downwards, dull and grey like the skies on a stomy night.

⠀⠀⠀Mikaela visibly frowns. "Yuu-chan, you need to stop thinking you're useless. I don't know what else the organization has been telling you over the span of many years, but you need to get it out of your head." He brings the mug of warm coffee up to his lips, taking a small sip. From the other side of the table, he gently grabs Yuichiro's palms and gives a reassuring squeeze. Olive eyes are on him, surprise and curiosity radiating off of his face. The blond smiles sweetly. "You're anything but useless, okay? You're everything and more, so forget about what anyone else has to say."

⠀⠀⠀Yuichiro stays quiet, only nodding slowly as he processes the words, each syllable having more meaning than he could ever think possible. He is smiling by the time Mikaela removes his hands, and all thoughts of uselessness dissipates.

⠀⠀⠀"By the way, flying, you should try it out later, yeah?" Mikaela hummed as he finished up his coffee, slowly rising from his seat at the dining table and reaching up to stretch his arms. He covered his lips as he yawned. By the time Yuichiro realized his movements, the blond was already throwing on his beige coat. "I'll see you in a few hours, Yuu-chan."

⠀⠀⠀Yuichiro gaped, eyes wide as he scrambled off of his own chair and met with Mikaela at the doorway, fingers quick to constrict around said male's arm. Sapphire irises narrowed in confusion, Mikaela spoke, "What's wrong?"

⠀⠀⠀"Where're are you going?"

⠀⠀⠀As if the question had an obvious answer, the blond blinked thrice before a light smile graced his lips. "Silly, I'm going to the school. Remember? I teach music at the nearby high school a few minutes from here." With that answer, the raven felt his stomach drop to his feet, mouth dry; desert-like, warm, scratchy. Of course, he remembered him saying about being a teacher, but he didn't think— wouldn't have imagined— he would be leaving now of all times and, well, leaving him here— alone. He choked down the whimper that was thrashing in the back of his throat, tightening his hold on the man. His frame trembled at an unsteady pace, wings folded and pressed against his spine as he imagined the thought of being left alone. Fear edged his tone as he stuttered his words, trying to form them into the best sentence he could manage. "Can't y-you just take the day off? Just for t-today? Please?"